question about not going...

amberk82
on 1/15/12 1:52 am
how long is considered normal not to go #2?? What do you take to go?? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/12 1:58 am - Winter Park, FL
 I think I read in the documents my surgeon's office gave me that your constipated if you don't go at least once every 3-4 days.  It recommended Dulcolax, Miralax, etc.  You may want to check with your doctor to be safe though.
P_B
on 1/15/12 2:03 am - Norfolk, VA
I have issues in that department too, I go about every 5 days. Unless I take my fish oil pills then I go e every day but that's unpleasantly loose.

nana S.
on 1/15/12 3:03 am - MI
 I have the same problem, its taking me like 5 days to go, and then I take Miralax, or drink SENNA tea, and when I go its so painful :( 

frenchgrapes
on 1/15/12 3:10 am - TX
I've taken milk of magnesia a couple of times when I could't remember when I'd had a bowel movement last. Milk of Magnesia is not great in texture and taste, but, it works.

Read on here where someone else mixes miralax with crystal light and that she can't taste the miralax. I'm going to try that.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
VeronicaJ5
on 1/15/12 3:16 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
I've been told to mix the milk of mag (minty?) With chocolate pudding sugar free of course and it taste pretty decent. I don't wait more than three days if I can't go on my own I take peri colace .
ruggie
on 1/15/12 4:20 am - Sacramento, CA
So, with our sleeves, we're no longer bulk eaters - the one downside with that is that we cannot get enough fiber from the foods we eat, especially when we prioritize protein intake.  We're supposed to get in 20-40 grams of fiber a day (it varies based on age, sex, and activity level).  Not only is fiber important for preventing constipation, but it reduces your chance of having colon cancer.

In order to stay regular, I take the following each day:
(Oh, the reason I have so many is that I believe a variety of soluble and non-soluble fiber is important, so I have a few different sources of fiber rather than lots of just a single kind).

- A couple pills of Metamucil MultiHealth Fiber.  This is Psyllium Husk, and I either buy it at Costco or Target's brand is pretty cheap too.

- A pill of Citrucel, which is methylcellulose.

- A couple pills of Kirkland Fiber-Tabs, which is Costco's generic version of Polycarbophil.

- In one of my waters for the day, I add two heaping teaspoons of BeneFiber, which is wheat dextran.  I buy the Target version (Up & Up) since it's a lot cheaper.

Those help me keep regular.  When I'm not though, I'll add in:

- Miralax, which is polyethylene glycol 3350.  I buy the Costco brand (Kirkland LaxaClear) because it's substantially cheaper.  It's pretty gentle.

Hope this helps!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

amberk82
on 1/15/12 5:49 am
thanks so much! I remember my doc saying something about taking benefiber...hubbys at the store getting me some now!

KB1964
on 1/15/12 5:51 am
I take Miralax every couple of days to keep things moving. I have also discovered a tea called get this Organic Smooth Move. LOL! It works. It has licorice root in it which I don't care for but I have found that if I mix it with another flavored tea and add a little splenda it is good. Drink before bed and you will go in the morning. Also, it does not produce as much gas as the Miralax.
I bought mine at Amazon and sometimes at my local health food store.
Ms Shell
on 1/15/12 7:09 am - Hawthorne, CA
I also HIGHLY recommend adding a probiotic to your daily pills.  I have been doing this since 3 months out and in ADDITION I get about 80oz of water (took longer for the water), but I have a bowel movement almost daily if not every other day.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views