IGNORANT FAMILY!! VSG VS LAP BAND

denebbers
on 1/25/12 3:37 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with

Have to vent, and only you guys would understand what I’m talking about…

I have several family member who have had the lap band and the RNY (hope that’s how you spell it). 3 out 4 of the lap banders have had horrible results, slips, erosion, removals and weight gain. Only one (who had a slip) has been able to maintain her weight loss. I give credit to her awesome workout ethics and re learning how to eat. ANYWAYS, this Xmas after seeing the changes in me, both my sister and cousin were very excited about looking into VSG in Mexico. So my cousin and sister just got off the phone with me right now, saying,- and I quote

“The Dr that we found (NOT ANY OF THE ONES ON THESE BOARDS- definitely not Dr Alvarez) told us that the VSG was only for people that wanted to lose weight fast ONLY to regain it ALL BACK. The Dr said that your stomach will stretch again and you will get fat again. He also said that we (my cousin and sister) aren’t fat enough for the VSG!! And he will give us a discount if all three of us go have the surgery at the same time (my husband, sister and cousin)"

WTF!! I was speechless--Let me just clarify, that I was 90 lbs overweight when I started this-- both my cousin and sister are over 200 lbs and one is 5’4 and the other 5’6 while I’m 5’11!! And to top it off they said that I should really reconsider trying to “push my husband towards making the decision of choosing VSG. AS if I would ever make a suggestion to them or my husband towards something bad!! I’m so pissed!! I never thought my own family would be as ignorant and biased as they are acting!!  VSG is and will always be the best option for me. I do agree that my stomach will be able to hold more food in time, but my purpose in life was never to eat 1.5 oz for the rest of my life. And please someone correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t lap banders eat more than 1.5 oz per sitting? Don’t they have more food that can “slide" right through?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who choose the lap band. I just think that VSG is such a better option

So aggravateD!! Thanks for letting me rant

BTW im down 60 lbs in 3 months total loss of 87 lbs and IM LOVING IT!!

tripmom02
on 1/25/12 3:47 am - NJ
 Statistically, the Lap Band sucks compared to the VSG. I do admit that I have a bias since my band tried to kill me, but just look at how many band to vsg revisions there are here. Send them a link to the failed band board, the revision board and the failed surgery board (heck, even to the band board here!) so they can see just what they are up against. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/12 3:55 am
i will second what tripmom says - send them the failed lapband group link as well as the revision forum one.

and you really don't have anything else to say....:)  
Hislady
on 1/25/12 2:24 pm - Vancouver, WA
I heartily agree with the other ladies the band is a joke and not a funny one at that. Lord yes I could always eat more than 1.5 oz with myt band! I could also eat all the cookies, candy, ice cream and other goodies even when I couldn't eat solid food. I wouldn't wish the band on my worst enemy much less a family member. Stick with your sleeve and show them what real WLS is!
denebbers
on 1/26/12 3:31 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
thanks everyone!! i was down in the dumps yesterday seems like no matter what I do no decision or action will ever be enough to satisfy my family sometimes.. but they can just go ahead and realize that the band is not the best on their own. I really tried to make them understand so that they wouldn't be disappointed in the future and for their own health.. but there is only so much one can do or say.

thanks for your support
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views