Vitamins

brneecy
on 1/27/12 2:18 am - San Pablo, CA

what do you guys do for vitamins? right now i'm doing a chewable flinstones vitamin twice a day, that i don't think i'm gonna take again when i'm done with the bottle. i can't stand the taste anymore! and i'm taking a calcium/vitamin d combo also twice a day that is this HUGE pill and makes me gag each time i take one. and then b12 which is fine cuz its tiny. does anyone take chewables and which ones do you recommend? I tried a chewable calcium from gnc that made me throw up... but probably because i was still in the liquid stage. i'm about 2 months out now (thank god!).

trayb17
on 1/27/12 2:23 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I take chewable caltrate 600+D twice per day. Those taste like candy to me, kind of like a sweet tart but not tart. I also take Centrum adult chewable orange flavor but I am looking to switch because I do not like the taste of those ( I take 2 of these per day too).
Zee Starrlite
on 1/27/12 4:17 am

We need calcium citrate not caltrate.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

brneecy
on 1/27/12 5:50 am - San Pablo, CA
True, that's what my nutrionist said too... but i get confused. what's the difference between calcium and calcium citrate? i'm just taking the regular calcium...
frenchgrapes
on 1/27/12 2:29 am - TX
I'm using the Walgreen's complete multi-mineral multi-vitamin cherry flavored liquid. It is three teaspoons that go down quick in the morning with breakfast. Also taking the Calcium with Vit. D chocolate chew for a late night treat.

I was taking a small dissolve under the toung B12 supplement and an iron supplement. However, when my lab work came back last week, it showed not only were all my levels good, they were super good and some of them were way over. So, dropping the B12 and iron supplement until my next blood test in June.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
MelissaMommyto5
on 1/27/12 2:40 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I'm still pre-op but the nutrionist told me that centrum chewables were just as good for the vitamin portion but they recommended swapping to Bariatric Fusion post-op (I've heard people recommend Bariatric Advantage over BF on this forum though).  I'm going to start with Bariatric Fusion since it's what my surgeon's office recommends, but I'm not opposed to switching later if need be!  Good luck!

Jamie_45
on 1/27/12 2:45 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I take the Vitafusion gummy calcium and multi's from Costco.  They are multi flavors and so far I haven't gotten tired of them.  The only problem is the multi's don't have any iron in them so if your Doc wants you to take iron then you would have to take a supplement.

brneecy
on 1/27/12 2:59 am - San Pablo, CA
crap, i forgot about the iron... great more pills! lol :) thanks for the advice guys, i was looking at the chewable multivitamins from costco too but i thought it didn't have everything the nutrionist told me to take. i like the liquid vitamin suggestion! that sounds so much better than drinking a pill!! i'm going to look into that thank u so much!!
fayhog2001
on 1/28/12 1:06 am - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
I know it's a little more expensive but i was just in my surgeon's office yesterday for my last insurance visit and he now has a Bariatric Advantage Represenative that comes and offices there twice a week.

The guy has all these samples out to help you whether you are pre-op, 1 month post, or in your normal vitamin needs phase.  He let me try everything and tailor my package to what i liked best.  I personally just felt comfortable knowing i was getting everything I needed...and everything was actually pretty yummy!
brneecy
on 1/31/12 5:25 am - San Pablo, CA
Wow you're so lucky, every bariatric surgeon should offer that service!!