Wendys chili, what else? Need ideas for eating "out"!

goingforit1
on 2/9/12 3:04 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I love that people post things like the protein in a Wendys chili because it helps me know that I *can* go out to eat and hopefully enjoy the new (low or no carb) things that I will be ordering.  Normally I would eat out and order a steak or ribs with potatoes, fries, salad, rolls, etc.  I am ok with changing these habits but I was hoping ya'll have done some of the legwork already and can give suggestions on things you order from fast food places and also sit down restaurants that are "plan friendly"!

Anyone go to Texas Roadhouse and if so, what do you order?  I figure I can still have a few bites of steak or ribs (though I bet there's plenty of sugar in that BBQ sauce) and a veggie.  Is it okay to have (after protein)  a cheesy french fry or will even that small amount sabotage my efforts?  i don't want to push things or mess myself up.

What about other places?  What is your normal order when you go out? Ready....SHARE!  (please and thank you!)

TheBiscuit
on 2/9/12 3:12 am - TX
 If I end up at a fast food place, I'll order a grilled chicken sandwich and toss out everything but the patty and the cheese, if it comes with it. It irks me because it costs way more than I would want to pay for a single patty, but what can ya do? At restaurants I always go for the grilled options. Chicken, pork chops, a lean steak. When I order I always ask for a to-go box. By now I know what 3 ounces looks like, I'll cut that portion off and box up the rest. As far as side items go, I rarely have room for more than a bite or two of them. I'll either give them to a person I am dining with, or order a steamed veggie/mashed potato option. I have no guilt in side dishes, since I can literally only eat about a tablespoon of them, no matter how badly I want them. Protein first, always.

Keep in mind that if you didn't prepare the food, there is probably a high amount of sodium in it. Drink plenty of water later on in the day to offset your eating out.
frenchgrapes
on 2/9/12 3:42 am - TX
If there are breakfast options, I'll order an egg white omelet with veggies and pass on the sides of bread and potatoes.

I'd like to eat salads but the dressings are so high in calories even if low in carbs and sodium.

Other people on this board have talked about how eating high in carbs will leave you hungry and craving more food. I think that is true so I try to keep my carbs down. And, as mentioned above, anything you don't make is going to be loaded in sodium, even if it is grilled, baked, roasted, microwaved, or any other method. For the most part, I get a box and put half of the meal in the box and either give it to someone else to take home or leave it at the restaurant. The calories, carbs, and sodium aren't going to improve just because I took it home.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
vocalcoach
on 2/9/12 3:55 am - MD
I only order PLAIN salmon or chicken grilled in restaurants.  I ask the server to make sure it isn't cooked in oil or butter and then I ask for lemon slices which gives it a flavor kick!!  I also get steamed veggies like broccoli, califlower, etc...I NEVER order carbs in a restaurant!  Too hard to guesstimate how much fat, and calories are in those things!!

The only "fast food" restaurant I'll get anything from is Chick-Fil-A or Subway!!   I get the grilled chicken nuggets from Chick-Fil-A and from Subway a small round sandwich on Whole Grain bread with turkey or Ham w/ low fat cheese

Happy Eating!!!

HW- 315
SW- 286
CW- 252
GW- 160

vacationlover
on 2/9/12 4:06 am, edited 2/9/12 4:07 am
Please keep in mind that I'm 10 months out, so my tummy can handle pretty much anything.  Also, note that I only eat 2-3 ounces of protein, with up to 1/4 cup veggies/fruit at a meal.  I don't bring my scale to the restaurant, but I am really good about eyeballing what is 2 ounces now :)  My doctor has cleared me to eat any type of food, as long as I eat my protein first.  I don't count carbs, but I generally tend to avoid bread now.  I log EVERYTHING that I eat.

For breakfast, I'll order things ala cart. Things like...
- one piece of bacon, and one egg
- a veggie omelet made with egg beaters or egg whites (I usually can just eat half)
- two slices of bacon

For other meals, I order...
- grilled chicken, sometimes with cheese. I don't eat the bun, and I get it with no mayo, no ketchup.  Sometimes, I'll eat the lettuce or tomato that come with it.
- the toppings off of 2 slices of pizza.  I used to get pepperoni and veggies, but lately I've moved to just having veggies.
- a bison burger with just swiss and mushrooms on it.  No bun, no sauce
- Steak with steak sauce.
- Fajitas with no tortilla shell
- Grilled shrimp
- Grilled fish
- Broiled scallops
- KFC chicken with no skin
- at subway, my husband will order his sub double-meat, double-cheese, and I eat the "doubled" part.  sometimes they'll even put it in a nice little container for me :)

If I'm CRAVING something, like fries, I will indeed have ONE... I make sure to log it though....

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

KathyA999
on 2/9/12 4:12 am
In sit-down restaurants there are lots of choices, as previous posters have indicated.  In fast-food places, I usually only go to El Pollo Loco and just get one or two pieces of chicken.  Othrwise, a previous poster mentioned getting a chicken sandwich and just eating the protein.  I've also read on here that you can order just meatballs from Subway (they have a meatball sandwich, but apparently you can ask for meatballs and they give them to you in a paper bowl).

These will all be once you're past the soft food stage, of course.  In soft/puree mode, the only places I can think of are Wendy's for their chili and Taco Bell for their refried beans.

Re your question about the fries, I found that carby foods did stall or slow my weight loss.  YMMV.  You probably won't have much room after a few bites of protein for anything else.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

emelar
on 2/9/12 4:16 am - TX
You're not going to have room for that cheesy fry, so don't worry about it.  By the time you have a few oz of steak and a bite or two of veggies, you're done.

I eat out but not really fast food.  Wendy's has a chicken pecan salad that you can get a half order and it's perfect.  I go to Boston Market sometimes and get a quarter chicken with 2 veggies.  I can eat most of the chicken, a bite of a veggie and save the rest for later.  The dogs get the bread.

Restaurants are pretty easy.  I just came from a Mexican restaurant.  Had a grilled chicken fajita salad (chicken, avocado, cheese on mixed greens).  I use the salsa as salad dressing.  I'll also order fajitas without the tortillas.  Or a regular chicken or beef taco salad and leave the shell.  Get use to leaving food on the plate or getting a doggie bag!
LeahBea
on 2/9/12 4:41 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Fish and seafood are my go-tos as far as eating out. Mainly because I don't eat any other meat but also because it's high protein and low carb. I try to go grilled though it's not always possible. Like many others I'm far enough out that I know what 2 ounces looks like and portion accordingly. I personally don't get carbs as sides, I'll ask for extra veggies or ask for it to be left off. For me, eating carbs means craving more carbs later and I know I'll give in so I just avoid it altogether As far as fast food goes, no ideas, I don't eat it anymore.

Thing I like from different restaurants:
Applebee's- grilled shrimp skewers or the new Asian shrimp with double veggies
Chili's- grilled shrimp tacos, just eat the insides of one, no tortilla
Red lobster- wood fire grilled shrimp or if I'm feeling feisty I'll get scampi... Bu****ch the cals and fat
Outback steakhouse- wood grilled Ahi Tuna, this is my new LOVE, I'm addicted
T.G.I. Fridays- side of grilled shrimp skewers
Breakfast places, etc- I usually get 1 egg scrambled or a side of cottage cheese

Leah

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/12 5:19 am - CA
Before surgery, I used to eat out 2-3 times a DAY!  I've been to a restaurant maybe five times in the past four months.  I now find it a waste of money.  I order a meal and after three bites I'm done.  It's amazing how I now pay attention to the cost of a meal and how much money I'm now saving.  My monthly dining expenses have gone from approx $500 to $25. 

One cool thing is that my doc gave me one of his business cards and on the back is a note with my name requesting the restaurant allow me to order from the children's or senior citizen menu.  I went to Black Angus and got the child's steak dinner for $6.00 (I passed on the sugary soda and ice cream scoop with sprinkles). 
jerzeegirl4ever
on 2/9/12 6:38 am, edited 2/9/12 6:39 am - Monroe Township, NJ
From my experience, Texas Road House has a grilled shrimp appetizer.  I had it when I was only five weeks out.  It had five grilled shrimp on a skewer and I also ordered a side of mashed potatoes. 

I went for the protein first and only had room for a spoonful of potatoe...yummy!

That was my dinner out for a friend's birthday...I was happy I did not miss it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views