anyone who had Thrush also have a Sore Throat?

Gramgal
on 2/18/12 11:22 am
Newbie, 10 days out self diagnosed with Thrush and an increasing Sore Throat.  Are these related or do I have 2 different crappy things to contend with? 

moonglo82
on 2/18/12 11:25 am, edited 2/17/12 11:30 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
When you say self-diagnosed, do you mean that you have made the determination that you have some kind of medical problem without talking to your doctor? I urge you to call your doctor on Monday if this is the case, because you never know when your assumptions could be wrong, and this could lead to more problems, especially in the early post op stages. Besides, your dr will probably want to give you his or her recommendation for how to treat a sore throat this early out.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

pedirn06
on 2/18/12 11:29 am
VSG on 01/26/12
Ketoacidosis will cause your tongue to have yucky white on it.  At 10 days postop I am guessing that the sore thoat is not from insertion of bougie, etc during surgery.
pedirn06

Gramgal
on 2/18/12 11:33 am
As you said, it is the weekend and I fully intent to call first thing Monday morning.  The white, patchy cottage cheese like things on the inside of my cheeks had let me to "suspect" Thrush.  The increasingly Sore Throat make me wonder if I should go ahead and call on Sunday.  Just wondering if anyone else with Thrush had a sore throat also.

moonglo82
on 2/18/12 11:37 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Did your doctor give you an on-call number to use?  If so, I would go ahead and call tomorrow and see if there is anything in particular you can do until they can see you or call in a prescription.  I don't know much about Thrush, but I do know how miserable sore throats can make us, and I hope you get to feeling better quickly. 

And I hope I didn't come across the wrong way with my first response...  it's just that I know I have a tendancy to self-diagnose, and from experience that has never left me in a good place lol.  I meant well :)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Gramgal
on 2/18/12 11:42 am
No foul, I appreciate the feedback.  I think I will call tomorrow. Thanks

boomercd
on 2/18/12 2:16 pm - OH
If you think you should call the Doc, then you should, if its bothering you it should bother him. your still newly post op, I think its expected that we will have questions. I cant speak from personal experience, but I have had patients with thrush and yes some of them have complained of a sore throat also. usually these patients had been on antibiotic therapy which changed the normal flora normally found in the mouth, kind of the same thing that happens when women get yeast infection from antibiotics, sorry if this is TMI, if your not running a temp Id say it is probably not something like strep, however I would still call the doc and see what he says. Thrush is much easier to treat early on. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Greg M.
on 2/18/12 4:05 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I got a case of thrush post op from the preventative antibiotics used during my surgery.  It's fairly common.  You'll need Nystatin swish and swallow from your doc.  Should clear it up in about a week...finish the entire bottle.  Good luck!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views