My big fat reality check -update

CCinIndiana
on 2/27/12 3:53 am - IN
Last Monday I had written a post talking about how I had lost 80 lbs have about 20-25 more to go.  But in the last month had battled the same 2 or 3 lbs going up and down.  That day I decided to write all my food down and see exactly what I was doing.  Had someone asked me I would have sworn I was well within my limits (600-800 calories, less then 40grams carbs and 60 grams of protein)  In actuality that paticular day I was  around 1200 calories, 70 carbs and way low on protein.  Since that day I have written down everything that passes through my lips and I am happy to report I have lost 5 1/2 lbs this last week!!!!   I think really watching the carbs and keeping track is what made the difference for me.  So if anyone is struggling, heck give it a try!!  Thanks Cathi
Marabell
on 2/27/12 3:59 am
VSG on 06/07/12
yeah...I just had a slip up with candy.....it is amazing how much we consume without even realizing it.

Good for you that you caught on to yourself..lol. I am definately taking your lead and writing it all down ..I haven't had surgery yet and I am learning so much from all of you.
5.5 lbs....NICE

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 4:28 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Here is what is true for me.

1  - I have  broken relationship with food and I have for a *long time*
2 - I had honed being food amnestic to a science in my former life
3 - I gotz the lying eyes!  :}

I still track at nearly 3 years out, I do it because of the three things above and because, *for me* its such a small investment in time that pays out in HUGE dividends on the money, effort, time I put into having this surgery and getting healthy. 

Not everybody needs to do this!  But me?  Its just wisdom. 

Good on you for actually having the humility to give it a go and put pen to paper!  it really does help us to "see" where we might tweak things if we are not "looking" with our memories! 

Right on you!  YOU ARE DOOINNNG THIIISSS!!  :}
Mom4Jazz
on 2/27/12 4:59 am
Good on you for realizing this and catching yourself!

Have you tried one of the online tracking programs? I use a smartphone and the myfitnesspal app. I suggest this only because they have lots of information that makes it easy to look up foods and figure things out.

But hey, paper works! Great job.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 6:09 am
Whenever someone contacts me to get ideas and support for breaking through a plateau, one of the very first things I ask them to do is to track their calories, proteins and carbs by keeping a journal for one week.  Usually I never hear from them again, but in truth, there is no better tool.
Gramgal
on 2/27/12 6:46 am
myfitnesspal.com is very user friendly.  I can find just about anything in the data base.  Tracking your exercise activity is also easy and almost as important for success as tracking your food, in my most humble, newbie opinion...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views