potassium, Iron, etc

goingforit1
on 2/28/12 12:16 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Since tracking on myfitnesspal I've been able to get a good look at what I'm taking in.

I am pleased with my low carb, low sugar, low fat, high protein stats but I am concerned about my Potassium and Iron.  I get next to none it seems.  

I take a multivitamin
fish oil
biotin
Vit D3
cal-mag-zinc
calcium citrate chews
CQ-10

does a non-menstrating woman NEED extra Iron after the sleeve?  What about potassium? 3x/week I have 1/4 of a frozen banana in my protein shake but that's about it for potassium.  I don't see my Dr until 3 months post-op and for labs but I wondered what you guys think of this.  Do you think the multi provides enough to cover where my diet lacks?
Shagdoll
on 2/28/12 12:55 pm
I was told I needed an iron supplement from my doctor if my multi vitamin didn't have iron so I do take one. I don't know if it matters or not. Can you ask your doctor?
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 1:01 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Yes! yes! yes! You still need iron. It's very easy to become anemic.
califsleevin
on 2/28/12 2:12 pm - CA
You likely will need iron, at least for a while when you aren't eating much, and in time whatever supplemental iron you need can be tailored by monitoring your labs; some can get away with just what's in their multivitamin, but that's usually not the best form (and often combined in the multi with calcium, which competes with the iron for absorption,) so some form of added supplement is often needed. We don't have any of the mineral malabsorption that the DSers and particularly RNYers have, so long term mineral issues will primarily be dietary in nature - how much can you consume within whatever caloric limits you wind up with to maintain a stable weight.

Potassium is a tougher issue, as it's difficult to supplement without prescription. During my loss period I was typically getting in 25-40% of the RDA of 4700mg potassium per day (pre-op, I was getting 100% RDA thru diet alone) and that was on 1000-1100 cal per day and no attempt to maintain low carb (it seems that many of the most efficient potassium sources are linked to carbs, like potatoes, bananas, cantaloupe, and tangerine juice so the ultra low carb diets exacerbate the potassium problem. Now, in maintenance, I'm typically getting in 65-80% RDA (sometimes up to 85%) potassium. Labs have been fine so far, but that is one that can take some time to show up, so we can often get away with it during the weight loss period, but it does need to be monitored. My wife is chronically low and needs prescription supplements - but she has long term issues with it compounded by a DS - so we have long been on the lookout for good potassium sources (low sodium version of V8 juice is great - over 1000mg in a 11.5oz can.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 5:51 pm, edited 2/28/12 5:51 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Anemia is a COMMON occurrence after a gastrectomy (done either for weight loss or some other reason) - both because of the lack of intrinsic factor (which is why we need sublingual B12 - which lack of can cause an anemia issue) and because of our food consumption.

Good on you to get your labs pulled!!  Please do not over supplement because someone else has need.  I realize you probalby know this, but its worth saying again, because some folks just jump on a supplement wagon without seeing if *they* have that need.

My ferritin has been CRAP since my year out labs, I SHOULD have been infused the last 2 years *if I had had a provider who had a deeper understand than they did.*  I have to supplement with a heme-iron and I have to use all the iron rules (do not take iron within 2 hours of whole eggs, calcium, dairy, nuts, whole grains, tannins) because even with a heme-iron supplement, I am not absorbing it like in the glossy brochure and am going to push for an infusion if next month's labs are not MUCH better.

Anyway - Good job on your eagle eye!  It will serve you well.
Phatchick
on 2/28/12 8:49 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
HI,

You need the iron. I cannot tell you how many woman over 50 who have to come into the clinic and get iron infusion therapy. No iron no energy. Best, Sharon

Most Active