I am a mess-only the 1st day!

Lexie 84
on 2/29/12 2:59 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
Today is my first day of the 2 week liquid diet. I am miserable! I can hardly sit at my desk at work and function. I CAN NOT stand the smell of these drinks. I keep trying to drink it and it's sitting right in my throat like I could vomit any moment all over my keyboard. My head hurts, I feel weak...I just want to lay down and go to sleep. I drank some chicken broth. It helped me to feel better for a minute...but ONLY literrally A freaking MINUTE! Oh yeah, I had one cup of sugar free jello. I left my popsicles at home but I don't know how much they would've actually helped though. The surgeon told me to drink at least 4-6 protein drinks. I just started on #2 for the day. And he also said 800-1000 calories, no more no less. How the heck can I do that? I am a hott mess right now. What else can I do?!

Marabell
on 2/29/12 3:11 am
VSG on 06/07/12
Try different flavors....add some extract to them. If it is the chocolate one, add some cocoa powder to it. Thin them down with skim milk or add fat free yogurt. Also, I read that if you drink them from a covered cup it helps with the smell.

NanfromSan
on 2/29/12 3:13 am
VSG on 12/09/14
Try different brands.  Some taste better than others.  Even though after surgery you cannot drink with a straw, maybe a straw and lid will help with the smell.  Also, some drinks taste better very cold or frozen (smoothie like).
Sorry you're feeling so miserable!  It's going to be hard.  I'm sure your body is somewhat detoxing and withdrawing a little bit.

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Lisa J.
on 2/29/12 4:12 am - OK
On February 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM Pacific Time, NanfromSan wrote:
Try different brands.  Some taste better than others.  Even though after surgery you cannot drink with a straw, maybe a straw and lid will help with the smell.  Also, some drinks taste better very cold or frozen (smoothie like).
Sorry you're feeling so miserable!  It's going to be hard.  I'm sure your body is somewhat detoxing and withdrawing a little bit.
"Even though after surgery you cannot drink with a straw"

I know some doctors have a thing about this and mine *suggested* it as well but I have sensitive teeth and will NOT drink straight for any cup or glass EVER so I was a straw user from day one. Even in hospital.  Geez, we're not toddlers.....;-)

Also--I chew gum! Imagine that! I'm trusted with GUM!!!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
ND2BTHN
on 2/29/12 6:34 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
On February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM Pacific Time, Lisa J. wrote:
On February 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM Pacific Time, NanfromSan wrote:
"Even though after surgery you cannot drink with a straw"

I know some doctors have a thing about this and mine *suggested* it as well but I have sensitive teeth and will NOT drink straight for any cup or glass EVER so I was a straw user from day one. Even in hospital.  Geez, we're not toddlers.....;-)

Also--I chew gum! Imagine that! I'm trusted with GUM!!!

Agreed! I also hate my protein shakes. Even the unflavoured unjury is awful, and I have to add a couple strawberries to it,  just to get it in. I don't quite get the no straw thing. I prefer it because it gets to the bottom of the shake and bypasses the foamy crap on the top, which also adds air to your belly. I do get a lot of gurggles from it, but I can drink it much faster than little sips and don't have sticky lips either, which drives me nuts. Lid or no lid, it still tastes nasty. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
JointPA
on 2/29/12 3:13 am - CT
VSG on 03/02/12
 Just remember why you are doing this! It sucked for me to but by the 3rd day it was obviously working and getting easier. I kept telling myself that it is going to make my surgery easier for my surgeon. You can do it hang in there!

Margo N.
on 2/29/12 3:16 am
 A covered cup REALLY helps!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Lexie 84
on 2/29/12 3:17 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
thanks, you all...this website is literally my saving grace, especially today. I keep looking at it and reminding myself of why I am enduring all of this right now. I'm grateful to see all the support and posts to remind me that this surgery is really REAL and about to happen and that my life will change forever!

Daisy_Rose
on 2/29/12 3:17 am
 Oh my - do I remember this stage... only a little more than 2 months ago... First, breathe.

I had the same reaction to my 2-week diet, but I kept my focus on the outcome.  If you focus on the immediate situation and not the long-term results, it is very hard to stay on task.  I cannot stand the taste or smell of protein drinks... still... but I get them down to get to the long-term results.  

Track your intake - myfitnesspal - is a very good computer program with a downloadable app.  Your body is going to rebel; your mind will rebel, but YOU CAN DO THIS.

Lexie, you can do this.  

Lexie 84
on 2/29/12 3:23 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
On February 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Pacific Time, Daisy_Rose wrote:
 Oh my - do I remember this stage... only a little more than 2 months ago... First, breathe.

I had the same reaction to my 2-week diet, but I kept my focus on the outcome.  If you focus on the immediate situation and not the long-term results, it is very hard to stay on task.  I cannot stand the taste or smell of protein drinks... still... but I get them down to get to the long-term results.  

Track your intake - myfitnesspal - is a very good computer program with a downloadable app.  Your body is going to rebel; your mind will rebel, but YOU CAN DO THIS.

Lexie, you can do this.  
Your last line...makes me want to cry :) It sounded just like my mommy-She is in Chicago and I am in DC...she is supposed to come for the surgery in two weeks but she may not be able to now. :(

Most Active