Is it true?

Lexie 84
on 2/29/12 3:13 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
I met with the anesthesiologist yesterday and he told me that  for the surgery, I can't have on acrylic nails and I have to take off my body piercings (tounge and lip)...anyone know this to be true? I can deal with taking the piercings off if I must but I dont get the whole nails thing. Do I really have to go without my nails done???? I know this may sound silly to some but I LOVE MY NAILS and I keep them done! LOL He said it's b/c of the little finger thing they clamp on one of my fingers to monitor my heart rate or something. My nails are not super long so it should be able to fit right???? Maybe???

Margo N.
on 2/29/12 3:15 am
It's not the length of the nails, it's that the device monitors oxygen saturation thru the nail, and acrylics interfere with that. Often the color of your nails is checked too, so many surgeons require no fingernail polish.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/12 3:16 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

yes it is because of the oxygen sensor they put on your fingers.  they ask this for your safety.

Its not like they are asking you to not wear panties!!

Oh wait.  Yea.  You cannot wear panties either. 

*chuckle*

smiles24
on 2/29/12 3:16 am - MI
Trust me, this process is entirely worth not having acrylic nails for a day or two.  No worries, just go with what they tell you....you'll be just fine!  Good luck!
Sheryl
HW:  273   SW: 238   CW:  164  GW:  150  

Lexie 84
on 2/29/12 3:18 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
Ok, just wanted to make sure it was really serious. I'll be compliant! LOL

Daisy_Rose
on 2/29/12 3:19 am
 interesting - I kept my acrylics on... I had them done the day before surgery and kept them shorter than usual since I did not know how long before I felt well enough to go to the nail salon.  

Oh well, as other have said, it's only for a couple of days and it's to keep you safe.  I feel the same way,  but your safety is more important.

kitsyb
on 2/29/12 3:21 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
Maybe you could see if they will let you just take one off for the monitoring device.
Lexie 84
on 2/29/12 3:27 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
On February 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM Pacific Time, kitsyb wrote:
Maybe you could see if they will let you just take one off for the monitoring device.

LOL then I will be trying to get to the nail shop the day after just to get that one nail fixed! I'm vain with my nails. I won't want to go with one not done. LOL I'll go ahead and take them all off. But as soon as I can, I'll be right at the nail shop to get a full set!

JointPA
on 2/29/12 3:25 am - CT
VSG on 03/02/12
 I am in health care and everyone is correct about the nails but one thing left out is the bacteria that can collect because of the nails too. They don't let nurses techs etc have acrylics in the OR either. Piercings are generally because of the cautery devices/ harmonic used during surgery which generates electricity and metal increases riski of arch no matter where on the body it is. Good luck!

tripmom02
on 2/29/12 3:30 am - NJ
yeah, any mouth piercings have to come out (others can be covered by tape), and no acrylic nails. Small price to pay in my book, you can always get your nails redone. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active