ZOFAN for upcoming sleevers...

Michelle10929
on 2/29/12 8:18 am - NC
I work in a Dr's office, and I've been seeing something starting this year with insurance companies that I have not seen before. A lot of insurance companies are wanting prior authorizations for Zofran which can take a week + to get settled.

Just ask about it in advance just in case. You don't want to be a few days home from surgery, and have the need for Zofran but then have it denied. Maybe there is a list of medications you are approved for that goes along with the surgery? I don't know. If not maybe the Dr's office can go through the whole PA process before surgery and have it waiting at the pharmacy for pick up if needed?

Just in three years I have never done a PA for Zofran, and I do like 5 a day now. And I've given up on Wells Fargo employees.. I can't get Zofran approved to save my life for those pts.
Cindy22706
on 2/29/12 9:13 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
This is kind of off topic, but when I was in the hospital and had nausea, the nurse put in a request for Zofran- and apparently they have a 'national shortage' on it. I dont know what thats about but I dont care. I remember h telling me they have a suppository anti nausea medicine.. haha I ended up getting that. Its funny because the pain meds knocked me out and I dont remember much.. but a suppository.. lol. She was up my butt and I didnt care.

Maybe I just wanted to share my story?

moonglo82
on 2/29/12 9:17 am
VSG on 03/29/12
In my case, it wouldn't matter if the prescription was tied to the surgery or not, since I am self pay for the surgery, but our insurance does cover Zofran- I just checked on that a few days ago. I didn't think to call and ask about the PA part, though... just saw it listed in my rx book. Thanks for the head's up... I'll be calling my insurance co about that tomorrow!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

kam0520
on 2/29/12 9:49 am - AL
They prescribed that for me for surgery and I never had a problem.  It comes generic now and as long as they don't request brand, usually it goes through just fine.  I worked for an mail order pharmacy and we dealt with PA's a lot.  It comes from what the companies say they will/wont pay for.  There should be a list where you can find out if it is or is not approved.  My company for instance uses caremark and I can go to their website make sure something is/isn't covered and usually get an idea of my copay.  

Great advice though!  If there are any Sungard employees out there, have no fear, they covered it for me last month no prob!  :)
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Michelle10929
on 2/29/12 9:54 am - NC
Yah Ondansetron is the generic for Zofran. I really don't know what the deal is with both of them. I'm getting PA's for both, and they won't friggin budge on it. The paperwork that comes back has two choices.. is the patient pregnant, or going through chemo?

I just saw someone mention Zofran on another post and one of my silly lightbulbs went off :)
katie M.
on 2/29/12 10:28 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Yeah, I was covered for both Zofran & Ondansetron but it was when I was pregnant. I still have some left over from my last pregnancy that I've been saving for just in case Hopefully they'll have something available when I have my surgery b/c I'm a "gagger" lol!
Most Active