Emotions

The-New-Me
on 3/11/12 8:18 am
I just had the vertical sleeve on March 1st, and I am already having some emotional issues bubble up.

I have also had "ohno, can I really do this" feelings coming up.

I am just wondering how eithers have dealt with this and did it come up so soon for them.

grisaille
on 3/11/12 12:21 pm, edited 3/10/12 11:23 pm - NC
Well, mine came up early and I was expecting it.

My shrink warned me I would face "buyer's remorse" AND that I would be very emotional for a while. Both having major surgery and losing fat (which has hormones imbedded in it) have left me teary at times - this is not my normal response to life but I am rolling with it. The first couple of days as I tried to get my meds, vitamins, water AND protein in, I burst into tears. I wanted to do it all perfectly from day one DESPITE my surgeon having told me the first week to just focus on hydration primarily.

It can take up to a couple of weeks for all that anesthesia out of your system as well which doesn't help. . . nor do pain pills.

And guess what? When the pounds drop off, you'll get to deal with body image issues - but it is all part of of the journey and I, for one, am looking forward to that challenge.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
The-New-Me
on 3/11/12 12:40 pm
Thank you grisaille!

I expected the emotions, just not so soon.  I know what you mean about the tears, also, today I am having one of those days, and I rarely cry.  Just trying to roll with it.

My employment offers an Employee Assistance Program and I thought I would wait to use it until I needed it, I guess I should get in touch with them tomorrow.

Thanks, again.
theshrinkingmimi
on 3/11/12 1:23 pm
I started back seeing my therapist right after my surgery.  Giving up your coping mechanism brings up stuff. That's normal.

I suggest therapy, but in the meantime, consider journaling the emotions when they 'bubble up'. Also, you need to find other outlets.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
The-New-Me
on 3/11/12 1:33 pm
It is so funny you mention journaling, for some reason I have been avoiding it.  I think I had it in my mind that I wanted this so much that all would be perfect.  LOL!

I am going to start the journal right now.

What do you suggest as other outlets?

Thanks!
theshrinkingmimi
on 3/12/12 12:45 am
It doesn't have to be a daily thing. That's why I used to avoid it- all or nothing thinking. I do it when I have stuff on my mind or to assess my mood. When I was in therapy, the shrink told me that I viewed it as a daily chore instead of an occasional outlet.  Since that change in view, I can say that I have been doing it for over 9 months.  Sometimes 1-2x per week.  Sometimes I skip a week.

There is a book called- 50 ways to soothe yourself without food- Susan Albers. It is short and easy.

I call people to talk more (I used to isolate myself); I visit elderly relatives; I play video games on the ipad (my job's ipad, but I keep it at my house); I read non-intellectual novels (mysteries); blast some music and dance; go for a walk; clean my house (more energy due to weight loss). Sports are a great outlet, even for women. Years ago, I kick boxed at a martial arts studio. It was a great stress relief. There are local kick ball, soft ball, etc leagues.

I workout in the morning because of work.  It gives me energy. However, evening workouts are great stress relievers.

Actively deal with your emotions while your stomach is so restricted so you can deal with them when you are less restricted.  Therapy was great for me. I am better able to cope and express myself when necessary, but I still have to actively do the work.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
The-New-Me
on 3/12/12 12:04 pm
Thank you so much. I will get the book.

All reall good ideas. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 424 views