Sweet stuff on an empty stomach = PAIN.

TheBiscuit
on 3/16/12 8:35 am - TX
Well, first of all, this isn't really news to me. I've made the mistake of having sweet food in the past. Nothing was quite like last night, though. Was my last night of vacation and figured, hey, I've lost 4 pounds this week, I'll treat myself to a scoop of ice cream. No big deal. YEAH BIG DEAL. Five minutes after eating it, my stomach turned knots. Or maybe my intestines, I couldn't really tell. Anyway, I had to rush to the bathroom and *TMI* had awful diarrhea. Was confined to a bathroom for about an hour until all the yucky feelings and "runs" went away. At least I know my digestive system is cleaned out, now... but still, why is this? I never really understood it. I just *usually* do well to avoid the situation to begin with. Needless to say, this will never happen again. No sweet food is worth what happened yesterday, ugh. 
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

moonglo82
on 3/16/12 8:44 am
VSG on 03/29/12
:/ hope you are feeling better!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

TheBiscuit
on 3/16/12 8:55 am - TX
 Was dandy after about an hour or so, that's what's so bizarre about it, heh! It was like an Ex-Lax reaction ala Dumb and Dumber, came out of nowhere LOL! Thank you!

emelar
on 3/16/12 8:49 am - TX
The thought of eating something sugary on an empty stomach makes my tummy crawl up my throat and slap me in the face.  I feel nauseous just thinking about it.

But, I can eat and enjoy a few bites of (someone else's) dessert after a meal with no problem at all.  But on an empty stomach....
TheBiscuit
on 3/16/12 8:54 am - TX
 Exactly! I have had all manner of dessert items after eating my "real" food, and zero issues. I imagine it has something to do with it being liquidy and exiting right into my intestine. Without something thick in there to plug up the pylorus, it just causes havoc... ugh! Never ever ever ever again. Just like my run in with toast. Once is enough to never even consider it!

Ms. Poker Face
on 3/16/12 9:13 am, edited 3/15/12 9:14 pm
exactly! me too! made the mistake of getting a shamrock shake one day... drank less than an inch of it and felt terrible. i should not have even had it anyway so serves me right.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

tripmom02
on 3/16/12 9:29 am - NJ
It's called rapid gastric emptying, being that our tummies are so small and sweet things are generally sliders (especially something like ice cream which is basically a liquid), it is going to hit the intestines without being fully digested and broken down first which causes more liquid to be pulled to the intestines for help in passing the substance (the bodies reaction to keep us from getting a blockage), which causes bloating, cramping and diarrhea.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views