OMG! I can eat cardboard right now!

firefly2000
on 3/19/12 7:00 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
 Ok, so tomorrow is the BIG day, and my Dr. requires a 24 hour liquid diet. Well, guess what?....I'm freaking STARVING! I'm not kidding...I could eat a piece of cardboard right now and I bet it would taste just like yummy cake! I know that I am being dramatic, but going from eating 100% - 0% (does chicken broth, water, or tea, count as food?) in 1 day is quite shocking to say the least!

At first I thought I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to go on a pre-op diet 2 weeks before surgery, but now I changed my mind! Oh well, I know that this is only temporary, and that I am about to begin an amazing journey back to health and happiness...so I just need to stay strong, stay focused, and stay out of the kitchen, LOL!

Oh, should I be worried that I can't take my rings off? I have read that you gain water weight after surgery? My chubby fingers have just "grown around" my rings, and the only way they will come off is to cut them off! 

Lesley

newme2011-2012
on 3/19/12 7:14 am
I was clear liquids only for 3 days before. Broths, tea, water , gatoraide , propel. Jello. Popscilces.
Keep drinking something all the time makes it better.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

onemoretry
on 3/19/12 7:23 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Sorry you are so hungry. I start my 24 hours tomorrow. Are you taking anything to flush your system? I am think maybe you will lose enough water tonight to remove the rings in the morning. My surgeon has me taking 2 dulcolax, 238 grams of Miralax (14 doses) with 64oz of Gatorade, and then 2 more dulcolax. I am sure I will spend a great deal of the day and night in the restroom tomorrow. LOL!

Good Luck with your surgery! I will be praying that all goes well and for your speedy recovery.

HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

Kevin H.
on 3/19/12 7:24 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 As far as I know you can not wear any jewelry in the operating room.  They will ask you to remove it.  I doubt they are going to pump IV fluids into your arms if your rings are stuck on your fingers.

Everchanging
on 3/19/12 7:33 am - NY
VSG on 03/13/12
 I know how you are feeling,I had to do the two week pre op diet plus two days of clears.So totally get it i think that most of us on the board do.I know one thing that worked for me was crystal light that seem to help with my hunger.Also try blending ice with you favorite drink of choice almost like a slushy it really does make a different.It crazy how doing that can make your mind thing that you are eating.As far of the rings nothing of the sort in the OR,I had to take out my eyebrow ring.Try using oil or soap to try and get the rings off.

I'm on a Everchanging journey.       

BROOKE H.
on 3/19/12 7:59 am - WI
I agree with khessmd, they will want your rings off. Id start lathering them up now and try to get them off. And/Or call your surgeon now and find out what will need to be done.

Surgery Date: January 16, 2012
Highest weight: 367 Surgery weight: 360  Current weight:248
Total lost = 119

lipstick22
on 3/19/12 8:19 am
VSG on 03/20/12
 I can sympathize!  I am tomorrow too, and I have been on a liquid diet but the total clears is kicking my booty.  I am just ready for 5:30 am to get here so they can knock me out!  GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!  We got this!  

bigtigger1010
on 3/19/12 9:02 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
actually we have ppl refusae to take off wedding rings all the time... most facilities just put tape over them... obviously if in the morning u can get them off, that's ideal... but dont stress if u can't... i've never had a problem with them sending anyone back that refused or couldn't get them off...

and even with IV fluids, u will gain overall water weight, but unless ur IV infiltrates in ur hand, ur fingers shouldn't swell too significantly!

GOOD LUCK

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views