low potassium? What low carb, low cal foods help?

goingforit1
on 3/20/12 2:44 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I am 6 weeks post op and have been doing great! 

I have not been back to my PCP for a follow up yet because I was told I didn't need bloodwork til 3 months post op.  Here's my question though:

I track everything I eat on myfitness pal.  I can see that I'm desperately low on potassium on a daily basis (but again, have not had labs to prove that my body stores are depleted) but I am starting to get leg cramps at night and anytime that's happened in the past it was due to low potassium.  I know bananas are good for potassium but they are also too high in sugar and carbs for me to stay on plan eating them on a daily basis.  I do have 1/2 of a frzn banana in a protein shake maybe twice a week but I'm guessing that isn't enough. I can't afford the calories or carbs to eat this daily.  WHAT ARE SOME SUGGESTIONS OF "ON PLAN" FOODS THAT WILL INCREASE  MY POTASSIUM LEVELS?  Any thoughts on the matter?  I realize if my labs are low the Dr will prescribe me potassium pills but I'd like to not let it come to that if I can help it.  

Thanks for any advice or suggestions! You guys are the best!
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/12 2:53 am, edited 3/20/12 2:54 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Labs are always the best way to gauge fuh reals, but you know that.

Now is where I would like to give a shout out to my tracker Diet Power, where you can look up foods by things, like potassium, magnesium, selenium, et cetera.

Lots of greens, beet greens, swiss chard, spinach, dulse seaweed has a nice chunk, bamboo shoots, clam juice, bok choy, zucchini, fennel, tomatoes, kohlrabi, pumpkin, cress, radish, asparagus are some.
Foxbins
on 3/20/12 2:59 am
I drank V-8 juice and worked the carbs in to my daily plan.   I Iigured the tradeoff (carbs vs leg cramps) was worth it.
jimbovsg
on 3/20/12 8:37 am
On March 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, Foxbins wrote:
I drank V-8 juice and worked the carbs in to my daily plan.   I Iigured the tradeoff (carbs vs leg cramps) was worth it.
I drink the low sodium V-8 (use potassium chloride in it)  so one lil can has as much....if not....more potassium as a banana and  less carbs...and cals  (30 cals..7 carbs  sodium 80mg...potass...570mg)  It is easy to add in cuz it goes down like water.....get em in a 48 pack at costco

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

ladyday
on 3/20/12 3:14 am
VSG on 02/15/12
 Bananas are excellent for potassium!!!

Dee08
on 3/20/12 6:06 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
I am on prescription potassium and was prior to surgery.  Even so, I still get the occasional leg/foot cramps at night.  What works for me is 3 tablespoons of dill pickle juice...straight from the jar.  It will stop the cramps in their tracks.  But you must realize that the next day you may not have a loss because of the sodium.  Push the water the next day and it will all work out.

I try and eat a lot of spinach, occasional sweet potato (russet potatoes have even more potassium), dried apricots, V8 spicy, etc.  Just Google potassium rich foods and you can get a complete list.

Just wanted to let you know what works for me to stop the awful cramps.  They can be a nightmare!  Good luck to you on your journey!

Blessings...Dee
USAF Wife
on 3/20/12 9:37 am
Believe it or not, Avocados have  DOUBLE to TRIPLE the amounts of potassium than a banana without all the carbs, sugar.

I hate bananas. There's something weird about this film I get in my mouth when I eat them, and they fill up my sleeve super fast. I eat guacamole like it's a food group HA.

Potassium is high in the following:  

Avocado - 1/2 medium - 550 mg
Banana - 1 medium - 451
Beef, ground - 3 ounces - 205
Black beans - 1 cup - 801
Broccoli, cooked - 1/2 cup - 228
Cantaloupe - 1 cup - 494
Carrot, raw - 1 medium - 233
Cauliflower, cooked - 1/2 cup - 200
Chicken - 3 ounces - 195
Chickpeas - 1 cup - 477
Corn - 1/2 cup - 204
Flounder - 3 ounces - 292
Kidney beans - 1 cup - 713
Kiwi - 1 medium - 252
Lentils - 1 cup - 731
Milk - 8 ounces - 381
Okra - 1/2 cup - 257potassium-rich foods
Orange - 1 medium - 250
Orange juice - 8 ounces - 474
Potatoes, baked with skin - 1 medium - 844
Prune Juice - 8 ounces - 706
Spinach, cooked - 1/2 cup - 419
Strawberries - 1 cup - 247
Sweet potatoes - 1 medium - 397
Tomato - 1 medium - 397
Tomato juice - 6 ounces - 658
Watermelon - 1 cup - 186
Wheat Germ - 1/4 cup - 259

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

goingforit1
on 4/3/12 3:21 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Thank you so much for that info!!! :)  Appreciate it, everyone! And I had no idea about avocados! I've been trying to add them in more anyway so this is great news! THANK YOU!
Most Active