Increase in body odor after losing a lot of weight?

TheBiscuit
on 3/25/12 8:38 am - TX
 Little background info on me: 25 years old, female. Never been a "sweater". Even at my highest weight, I was never one to perspirate much. Maybe a little on my brow, but my pits? Nah. I've never had body odor problems related to sweat, either. After losing 100 pounds I notice my armpits smell ALL the time. They aren't even damp, moist, sweaty, anything. I'll be sitting in a cold room all day and if I lift my arms, ewww. Smells just like my boyfriend's pits after he works out at the gym for hours! What the heck is going on? I'm due to get my period in a week, but I don't know if that makes any difference. I don't notice this being a problem that comes and goes with my cycle. It's pretty consistent. 
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

moonglo82
on 3/25/12 8:50 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Could that be some kind of hormonal change, even if not related to TOM? I only say that because I know that teenagers and preteens who are struggling with hormonal changes often have that problem. I did when I was in middle school... boy was it embarrassing!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

TheBiscuit
on 3/25/12 8:52 am - TX
 Very well could be. My gyno warned me that this drop in weight would result in more serious periods/PMS side effects. The less a woman weighs, the more those things effect her body. All of that estrogen getting tossed about my system from the weight loss may be the cause. Off to the Internet to investigate!

Jenny C.
on 3/25/12 8:50 am
I haven't seen much posted about this, so not sure if there are any trends.  I did sweat a lot more before surgery, and that is much reduced now.  I bike daily, and I seem to have less armpit odor.  OR!  I'm getting older and my smeller is worse!! 

TheBiscuit
on 3/25/12 8:53 am - TX
 LOL! I can't say I would care too much if I were significantly older. I think you earn the right to shrug it off at that point.

Marabell
on 3/25/12 9:21 am
VSG on 06/07/12
if you do a search of body odor in the bar, you will find that this is more common than you may think...hormonal changes...mineral changes from vitamins, the way your body now digests food, etc. From what I have read, it seems that once your body starts to regulate itself...the problem dissipates. So hang in there and stay downwind of loved ones!!   

Kevin H.
on 3/25/12 9:05 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I have always been a profuse sweater.  When I would go bowling 2 months ago I would be covered in sweat.  Not anymore!  Bowled 2 hours yesterday and didn't break a sweat at all :)

tall_not_venti
on 3/25/12 9:05 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Ketosis can do it too if you are very low carb
f4eva
on 3/25/12 9:15 am

I know you're going to think I'm nuts but you can "catch" the BO smell from your boyfriend - it sticks to you.  You say you're not sweating when you smell like that?  Well, you probably have it smelling it from him.  I suggest you wash and keep the pits shave use arm & hammer deodorant or just baking soda.  It will get rid of the smell.  There's also something else Dr. Oz recommended but I don't remember - maybe it's on his website.  Good luck!  Really - I'm not nuts. 

TheBiscuit
on 3/25/12 9:18 am - TX
 Thank you very much! I'm totally following you here, I don't think it's crazy at all. I've heard numerous studies on how sexually active partners can change the pH levels of one another. The effects are wide ranging and interesting to say the least. Probably a lot like women who sync up their cycles when living together! Heh!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views