Did I Just Screw Up (A Note on Control)

rhearob
on 4/3/12 12:24 am - TN
I am an Engineer.  I have always believed, both professionally and emotionally, that if I can measure it I can control it.  With the exception of my weight, I have been pretty successful at imposing my will on the world around me to achieve my goals.

I have taken that approach to my weight loss.  I weigh every day (at the recommendation of my surgeon and NUT).  I measure my blood sugar every day.  I note every everything I eat in my food diary.  I keep track of my exercise, so on and so forth.  Well what is an engineer, going to do with a butt load of data - analyze it of course.

As an  enginner - my thoughts are always on how can I optimize the solution.  How do I configure the inputs of a system, the mechanics, to get the most effifient output.  I want to lose the most weight I can in the fastest way possible - the body is just a biochemical machine, I should be able to figure out an algorithm, right?

Some of you have seen my other posts.  I have been irritated, as we all are sometimes, at the variability in my weight loss.  The stalls, the stair stepping, the small gains.  These are things that need to be optimized out.  I want that straight line with a slope of -0.8 lbs/day that I had in month 1.

My spouse pointed that I seem to have the biggest losses on days that Katy Perry played while I was in the shower.  Is that they key to rapid weight loss - Teenage pop music?  Did I screw up by not having Katy Perry play in the shower this morning?  Would I lose more if I played broadway show tune?  Would I lose less if it was Snoop Dogg?

With the exception of my weight (yes, I am sure a therapist could have a field day with the dark recesses of my psyche - we'll save that for another post).  Part of what I have come to realize through my weight loss journey so far is that I have to give up that illusion of control, especially over the scale.  I need to focus on controlling what I can (my diet, my exercise, examining my emotional responses to things for clues on where to focus my energy).  IF I follow plan I will lose weight.  The past 5 months have taught me that.

Its in our natures to want to find a magic bullet, that one thing we can do to make everything happen.  This is true not just in our weight loss, but everything else (if I just win the lottery, all my troubles will be over; If I could just get that promotion...).  As our colleagues who are Friends of Bill would say - we have to give it over to a higher power.  Focus on doing what you can do and trust that the rest will come out in the wash.  There are no magic bullets, no mystical potions (protein shakes or otherwise), or any odd rituals that will suddenly make us skinny.  There is only the work of staying on our plans, being accountable to ourselves, and getting the help we need when we need it.

So, Did I screw up by not playing Katy in the shower today?

Have a great day fellow VSGers!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

amyl0528
on 4/3/12 12:27 am
Great post, loved it! :)  Have a great day yourself!!

VSG Surgery May 1, 2012
AmberK
on 4/3/12 12:34 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Love your post! your right! The key to loosing weight, is sticking to your plans and not giving up!!! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

slimpickins5280
on 4/3/12 12:37 am - CO
 *snorts*

I'm married to an Angin-eer and they sort of rub off on you like ... cat hair ... or something that makes your sneeze a lot.

My awesomesauce hubby pointed out that I always gain a 1/2 pound or so after I have karate (yes, he's still alive.)

He thinks becoming a butt-kicker might be having negative side-affects to my weight loss. Of couse he ran out of the room after he said it.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

melz1974
on 4/3/12 12:51 am
VSG on 07/10/12

I think he's making excuses because he's intimidated by your awesomeness!!! 

slimpickins5280
on 4/3/12 3:52 am - CO
He should be VERY afraid! I can run now.

OP - Katy Perry, seriously?? I think that might be what's doing the most damage. She's like drinking wine out of a box.

You need an upgrade.

Play some Pat Benatar, Blondie, AC/DC, Rush, Led Zepplin. Mix it up with some Eminem. Add in a little Madonna and Prince. Maybe a dash of Pink just to give it a little more attitude. A big helping of Aretha ought to round it out just fine.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

moonglo82
on 4/3/12 12:41 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I just about spit out my protein drink just now... haha!

I mean DUH... any successful wls patient plays Katy Perry in the shower hahaha!

You crack me up!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

INgirl
on 4/3/12 12:46 am
Yes, but a little secret- Lady Gaga will burn more if you listen to her in the shower!

My body very quickly dashed any expectations I may have had.. I now just do my thing with consistency, and it does it's and somewhere down the line we shall meet!

melz1974
on 4/3/12 12:48 am
VSG on 07/10/12

Personally, I think you should try some Drowning Pool!  "Let the bodie**** the floor"  That's enough to motivate the crap out of your metabolism!    (I listen to it on the treadmill and elliptical trainer). 

Shagdoll
on 4/3/12 12:51 am
I listen to teenage pop music all day long so why aren't I at goal yet then???
Loved your post, thanks for sharing. Have a great day too!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views