Goodwill, Salvation Army and other Thrift Stores... sizes...

AdeanaMarie
on 4/4/12 3:44 am, edited 4/4/12 3:46 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
I love shopping at thrift stores.  Today, I bought a pair of DKNY size 8 short jeans for $3.00.  The other day I got 4 shirts at Salvation Army (half off color tag sale) for $7.00.  But the thing is... I am still a size 24... hoping to get into smaller sizes, obviously as time goes by and as I find good deals I pick them up.  I have bought some 2x, 1x, Extra Large and Large shirts and pants ranging from 8 to 16.  I just do not want to all of a sudden not have any clothes to wear and be forced to spend a ton of money on new items or not find what I like at the thrift stores when needed.  Not going crazy on spending.  Just buying a pair of jeans and one pair of black pants in each size... when I find them.

Am I being unrealistic in regards to how much I can lose?  I am 5'4" with a medium build.  Does anyone know what size someone would be at my goal weight of 145 pounds?  I have never been a size 8 in my life... but is size 8 possible for someone my height and a goal weight of 145?  Just wondering...

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

vacationlover
on 4/4/12 3:50 am
I think our end size is hard to predict- bone structure, fat distribution, etc all play a part.  I am 5'3" with a small/medium frame, and I'm currently 135.  Right now, I fit into all size 10P pants, and some size 8P pants.  Depending on the brand, I can fit into a few Small shirts, some Medium shirts, most Large shirts... however, in some brands like the Gap, I wear an XL shirt.  My bra size is 32D/34D.

I hope to lose maybe 5-15 more lbs, and get into a size 6 or solid size 8, but who knows if that will happen.

My friend is 5'4", 135 lbs and fits into some size 6 pants, but mostly size 8s.

I LOVE thrift store pants!!!!  I buy shirts new, but have fallen in love with buying awesome, high end, thrift store pants :)  I've scored some awesome brand new $100+ pants at ClothesMentor for under $20.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

dejahsmom096
on 4/4/12 3:53 am
You are not being unrealistic. I too love the thrift stores. I'm addicted. The thing is, I brought smaller sizes and put them in the closet, when I went to wear them ,they were to big so I had to donate them. Take those sizes 8 out and look at them everyday. That will be your motivation to get there. Anything is possible.Good luck
T.R       

INgirl
on 4/4/12 6:53 am
Size is hard to predict and even trying to get an idea from someone the same height & weight doesn't always work. I'm in sz12 jeans @ 5'7" and 157lbs, but someone my height and weight may easily wear an 8!

What I do, both to save space and not forget I have something only to pull it out and find I blew right past it is- only buy 1 size smaller, or even just the same size only "lose 10lbs" snug.. I can get a relative idea how something may fit even if I can't comfortibly zip it. I then stash those "soon" clothes into a seperate drawer and pull them out once in a while.. feels good when they do fit!

My 14's were getting loose, so I went out thrifting & bought a bunch of 12 jeans, some fit right then, some are too snug to be comfy right now.. but will be fine in a few more lbs. When something gets to the point of getting a tad loose- I donate it right away and that's the signal to go shopping again! First time in my life that all the clothes I own fit, or will fit w/i 10lbs!
BigDaddysLittleMomm
a

on 4/4/12 7:16 am - Bryan, TX
At 5'7" I started this journey at 264lbs - I was wearing sizes 22/24 and/or 2-3x.  Now, 55lbs lighter I'm in a solid size 16.  I was fortunate enough to have a friend who had the sleeve 5 months before me and she gave me tons, and I'm talking TONS, of clothes.  I went through every bag, sent to Goodwill (or other friends) the stuff that I knew I would never wear, sorted the remaining items into piles (I used laundry baskets) based on their sizes (which ranged from 12-22) and waited.  I put all of these baskets in my spare bedroom and I can remember thinking - I'll NEVER be small enough to wear most of this stuff!  Each week I made it my mission to try on a couple of pieces from the next size down from what I was wearing so that I didn't miss my window of opportunity to wear that size.   Well, as of this week, I've gone though all of the 22's, all of the 20's, all of the 18's and some of the 16's!  Yesteray, I looked at the piles (which are now just 2 1/2 baskets!) and thought to myself - HELL, I'll be naked in 2 months!  SO, I went to both local Goodwill stores last night and bought lots of cute stuff for next to nothing!  I also bought some new stuff at Ross Dress 4 Less - super cute stuff for a fraction of what you'd pay in a department store.  So, now I'm set for a few more sizes  I spent probably $150 (which I had just made from selling on Craigslist some of my size 18-24 business/****tail attire!), but I'm set for at least another month or so.  I usually spent the same on clothes each month, but back then I wasn't worried about it not fitting in a few weeks so I bought more high end stuff - now I just focus on cheap, cheap, CHEAP and I can get lots more for the same $$!
Don't reward yourself with food - you're not a dog!    
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/12 7:43 am
Another one who says it is hard to say.  I'm 5'6 and 199 and I am just fitting into mid-range 16s.  Some 16s are still too small.

Loving the thrift store though.  I stick with things that fit now, or will fit in a short time...just a few inches between the button and the buttonhole.  I got 3 shorts, 3 capris, and a pair of sandals that looked like they were never worn for $32 yesterday.  Hoping they are all too big in a couple of months.  For tops I tend to go for $5 tees from Target, Pennys, or Old Navy.
AdeanaMarie
on 4/4/12 9:59 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Great ideas everyone!  I did sort all my clothes (things that currently fit and things to fit later), by size.  My spare closet has the ones that will fit down the road, main closet has the clothes that currently fit or will fit within 10 pounds.  I actually think I need to try on some of the current clothes, get rid of the too big and start wearing the actual size I am.  I actually need to try and find some shorts/capris/skirts for the sizes I will be this summer, otherwise I will be sweltering in jeans or black pants. :O)

Maybe I can nip my shopping a bit by just going home and trying on the clothes I already have.  I am justifying my spending at lunch at the thrift store (usually about $5), since I do not go out to lunch like I used to.  But I should just be saving that "extra" money for the new couch I have been wanting.  I have never had a new couch and would love a leather C shaped one.  I spent so much on food before that I should save up for that couch in not time flat.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views