Questions and concerns - need answers and help

Ohiogirl
on 4/4/12 12:42 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Hello - looking for answers and some help from experienced sleevers in their 50's and up.  I had lapband done in 2004 - had removed in 2007 - when removed - insurance would not cover any other WLS - so I was stuck.  Now I have a family member who has offered to loan me the money to have WLS and I am scared now to really face the prospect of actually having it.  Since my Lapband failed - so afraid I will fail at the sleeve too.  I know I am an emotional eater and I did grieve after the lapband.  And I know the sleeve is permanent.

I am now 60 - have bad knees, bad back, one kidney due to cancer in 2001, sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes - so I definitely could benefit from WLS but I am so freaking scared of having complications.  Course I need to have total knee replacements too and I am scared to death of those surgeries too - I've had a lot of surgeries in my life but they have all been non-elective so really no choice.  I just don't want to make the wrong choice and end up worse off than I am now.

I live in NE Ohio - could go to Cleveland, Akron, or even Pittsburgh for surgery - just don't know who to go to, so I am looking for suggestions - I don't fly so i can't go to Mexico.  I assume cash price is similar at most places - within a couple thousand or so - so while I want a good price - the best surgeon is really what I am interested in.

So to sum up - those over 55 - tell me if you knees feel better, was the surgery worth it, how to cope with emotional eating, if from Ohio - tell me where you went for surgery - just give me some help please.  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.
foothills3252
on 4/4/12 1:21 pm
VSG on 02/27/12
 i understand there is a doctor in conway, sc that does vsg cash price for 8900.00-good luck

newme2011-2012
on 4/4/12 1:42 pm
I am not quite 50. 48 I HAD lots of knee issues. Had some knee surgery last year as a matter of fact.
No knee pain now at all. Hips feel better too.
I didn't have any co-mormidites so I can say to that.
Best thing I have done for myself ..Wish I would have done it sooner!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Chanciekd
on 4/4/12 2:32 pm, edited 4/4/12 2:34 pm - MS
VSG on 01/23/12

Hello,
I am 57.
Have had surgery on both knees.  Have had all kinds of health issues and problems including some of the ones you listed.  Could not walk very far without being breathless.

NOW....
I feel better than I have in a long time.  Have not had any more knee problems.  After getting 30 lbs. off of them, they are now feeling better.

There is no one on earth that loves to eat more than I do.  I love to eat and love to cook.
I am learning to cook healthy food and eat what is right for me.

I am down 2 sizes from the time of my surgery in January of this year. 
I know I am on the right track. 
The tool from the VSG is exactly what I needed to get myself in better shape and good health.
This was the best thing I have done for myself in years.
Good luck to you.
Kathy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views