6 months post-op, malnourished and now have a PICC line!!

ksmart
on 4/8/12 1:22 pm - MN
 Good Evening All!
I will keep this short and sweet as possible. I have posted a few times before and 
Now I have hit an all time low. Had my sleeve Oct 13th, then ended up having my gallbladder and appendix removed November 22nd and it's just been downhill since then. I now suffer from severe acid reflux and the list goes on. I ended up back in the emergency room last week and after 24 hours of no urination they determined I was malnourished. I started on TPN and had my PICC line placed this past Friday. Will this ever end? I wanna know if anyone else has dealt with this. I just feel like I'm going in circles. Like will this even help longterm or what? I'm just feeling very discouraged and pretty down and depressed. Any advice or suggestions I'm open! Thanks for your time. Have a great evening!
quintons_mommy200

on 4/8/12 1:27 pm
I had a picc line for a few months because of a leak... How long do they expect you'll be on it? Are you to be eating at the same time? Is it just temporary till you can get more food/drink in yourself? TPN is icky stuff.. made me feel awful. Hopefully you can get on track with keeping yourself healthy without it and get rid of it quick.

Guessing you're on meds for the reflux issue??

Good luck to you! 

ksmart
on 4/8/12 1:41 pm - MN
 Thanks for responding. They haven't really said how long they think I will be on it. At least a few weeks I know that much. Why were you on it? The TPN doesn't settle to well with me stomach. But let me tell you it sure is nice not having reflux and all that. They haven't found a med yet that can really works for the reflux. I just don't understand how having TPN is going to cure this. Having a picc line is stressful and can have serious complications and stuff. I don't eat much at all. I do drink water still. Thanks for responding.
quintons_mommy200

on 4/8/12 2:00 pm
I was on it because I had a leak and couldn't eat or drink because of the hole in my stomach. Everything had been going out into my body, putting at risk of going septic and potentially dying. It was hands down the single scariest thing EVER.

Are you not eating much because you're in pain with the reflux? TPN won't cure the reflux but it'll keep you alive while you're not eating enough to keep yourself nourished. You're welcome to add me and we can chat if you have further questions about TPN or my experiences.

jacreasy
on 4/9/12 12:00 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 What is TPN?

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

quintons_mommy200

on 4/9/12 12:02 am
Total Parenteral Nutrition... it's when you get most or all of your nutrition through your PICC line... essentially baby formula for adults given through your veins.

maryannet
on 4/8/12 1:30 pm
RNY on 03/20/12
 I'm not a doctor but it sounds like you are eating the wrong foods. PROTEIN first in all types of WLS, The reflux is due to the amount of pressure the sleeve creates, so protect your sleeve with your antacid, which usually works best at bedtime when you are not going  to be eating, but still producing acid.. And i would go back to the liquid protein for awhile to give your stomach a rest from digestion, cause it obviously isn't digesting properly now.  I really hope things come around for you soon, I know you must be miserable.  Keep plugging in the fluids by sip-sip-sip, and best of luck..
ksmart
on 4/8/12 1:43 pm - MN
 Thanks for your advice suggestions. I have always eaten my protein first. That had always been my number 1 rule to follow. I think I'm just gonna have to go back to the start when I do start eating again. Thanks for responding.

theshrinkingmimi
on 4/8/12 1:49 pm
This is awful. I never heard of this. 

Is there a nutritionist that works with bariatric patients that can help you? Have you been given an explanation as to why this is happening?  What has your surgeon said?

Hang in there. You have to turn the corner on this eventually.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Lee ~
on 4/8/12 2:58 pm - CA
 Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Please don't let anyone lead you to believe this is because of anything you did, or did not do.  This happens sometimes and you are the unlucky one.  This happened to my friend Amy and she was on a TPN for a long time.  She happens to be a nurse who was doing everything correctly, but it still happened.  The good news is that the reflux will settle down and allow the irritation to get better.

I  think you should write to her to get support.  Hopefully she will see it.  Her screen name is amystimetoshine.  I will send her a text to look for a note from you.

I hope you feel better soon!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 351 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 400 views