Juicing

June W.
on 4/11/12 3:25 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
Anyone thought of juicing to get your fruits and veggies in?

We focus so much on getting our protein and avoiding the evil carbs that I think we forget that we're supposed to have fruits and vegetables in our diet to get all those nutrients they provide.

But I also know that with our small stomach it can be a challenge to eat a salad or even a whole apple. So I'm considering juicing some veggies and fruit, throwing in some unflavored protein powder and calling it my Super Charged Protein Smoothie!!

What do you think?

Cindy22706
on 4/11/12 3:29 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I guess its a good idea. At this point (9 weeks out) I can still hardly get all my protein in, so I am not worried about getting fruits and veggies in. I get the nutrients from my vitamins. If you feel you wanna do that- go fot it!

ruggie
on 4/11/12 3:32 am - Sacramento, CA
Well, my thoughts on juicing is this -

Juicing is a great way to keep up your intake of "evil carbs".  Moreso that it's largely fructose, which is directly metabolized into fatty acids by the liver. 

Really suggest you don't go down this path:

1)  You don't want a bunch of simple sugar in your diet (esp. fructose)
2)  You don't want to be drinking your calories
3)  You take all the good fiber and pulp out of the fruit which normally helps to offset the blood sugar spike from having fruit
4)  You get the nutrients you need from multi-vitamins. 
5)  You don't want to deal with increased hunger after having high-carb foods

Just have your protein shake without all that juice/sugar.

It is fair to call me a "party pooper".

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

June W.
on 4/11/12 4:33 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
I hear ya. I am mostly concerned about getting vegetables in, not fruit. I don't want to drink a bunch of sugar! I'd be more inclined to throw in a few strawberries for flavor, but focus on getting my greens and all the raw veggies that I may not be able to get in with my new tummy.

I'm just thinking about it. Haven't bought the $400 juicer or anything!

Pura Vida
on 4/11/12 5:01 am - Costa Rica
I think you are still too close out, but at 3 yrs, I can put baby spinach, a slice of pineapple and water and blend that up ( not juiced, just puréed) I have one of those a day, but I am at goal and in maintenance, which is a different ball game from the losing phase. Good luck!
Rosemary1031
on 4/11/12 5:13 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
Yea, seems like it would make sense since it's "healthy" but it's just not healthy for us at our stages.

I bought  a fancy-schmancy juicer a few months before I had my VSG, and a bunch of juice recipe books. I enjoyed juicing because I felt I was getting in good nutriets, and I was, but I never lost, and it doesnt seem right that you replace a meal with juice.

My nutritionist told me not to drink my calories and I am minding that, besides juices and liquids are not the things that make this sleeve full, I'll just end up flushing them like I do water.

I say, if you really want to get into juicing, do it later when you have lost, and do it as a "power up" supplement, say before a workout or a long busy day vice an entire meal or two. Stick to the plan for now :)

Anne D.
on 4/11/12 9:45 am
I make a green smoothie by adding spinach and kale to my protein shake and blend. Not just juice, the whole veggie, I may add a couple strawberries, bu****ch out for fruit during losing stage it's got a lot of carbs. You can buy organic spinach cheap at Costco too.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views