lab results back, not so good

AMoody
on 4/14/12 5:24 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Just got my 8 week lab blood test results in and things gotta change..I have low protein, iron, vitamin A and D... Surgen gave a script for iron and told me if I dont get protein levels up hair will start falling out..my husband being the comdeian that he is said oh no I dont want a skinny bald ladyLOL!!! So now I have got to be sure to get everything in for the day.. This sucks cuz I dont feel thirsty, or hungry I feel GREAT!!!!!!!!! Thanks for listning.....

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

melly37
on 4/14/12 6:14 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Please take the low protein seriously.  We want to be healthy, not just skinny!!    I am so glad you don't feel hungry.  So far, I am in the same boat, as you.  It's nice!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

AMoody
on 4/14/12 6:17 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Thank you! Im trying so hard and I want to do all that they say its just that i feel so good sometimes I forget ..

Kevin H.
on 4/14/12 7:45 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 That doesnt sound good AMoody :(

You might want to rethink your vitamins?  I just had my blood work checked at 8 weeks post op like you just because I was curious and everything except my cholesterol came back fine.  I had high cholesterol pre-op and was taking medicine for it but since surgery they took me off of it.  I'm hoping it will come down as I loose more weight.  

Please remember the vitamins is what we are living off of for the most part, not the tiny bit of food that we can swallow.  If i'm running short on my protein for the day I will drink a Cytomax Protein drink with 40g of protein in it.  They are $42 a case at the Vitamin Shop.

Also, my vitamins are Isotonic and are rapidly absorbed by the body.  Vitamins in pill form have to be broken down and metabolised and you don't absorb but a fraction of what you should before its eliminated from the body.  I'm having wonderful lab results with this if you want to try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSuC7ML_2M&feature=results_v ideo&playnext=1&list=PL9D91D7C1B320D214 

AMoody
on 4/14/12 12:10 pm - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Im taking multi vitamin 2xs day, vit D3 1x a day, calcium 2 x's a day, they have now put me on perscription vit d and vitamin A, which I picked up at gnc and now perscription iron, which my pharmacy didnt have in stock.

Kevin H.
on 4/14/12 6:40 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 OK well I hope it all gets better for you!

rhearob
on 4/14/12 10:55 am - TN
Your only job nutritionally is to get that protein and water in.  The last thing you want is malnourishment or dehydration.  You haven't mentioned your supplements.  Most of us are on a multi-viamin, calcium, vitamin D regimen.  Are you taking any supplements?  It sounds as if you had issues in most areas.  IF not, ask your surgeon.

Are you keeping a food diary?  I enter my foods as soon as I eat, and if it doesn't look like I am making my goals I adjust during the day.  As Khess said, shakes are good ways to boos the protein.  A single 8 oz ersving of some shakes has as much as 30g of protein.  I use the BOdy Fortress Whey Protein Isolates that are available at a lot of discount stores.  They have 130-140 calories and 30g of protein per serving.

Good luck!  and Keep an eye on those numbers...

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

sleeved2bfree
on 4/14/12 2:18 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 My surgeon has me taking Biotin to keep my hair. Also, B12, zinc, extra vitamin C, Iron, Calcium, D., B complex and a multi. The shakes can have a lot of protien and vitamins too. 
USAF Wife
on 4/14/12 9:07 pm
With low protein, the most important factor is muscle wasting and stress on your major organs. Hair is going to fall out regardless of how much protein you eat/consume. Sadly, it's just part of the process. There's no amount of protein that will guarantee you won't go through the hair loss that so many of us experience. No doubt that protein helps to some degree, but I would be more concerned with my body not recovering properly and losing muscle.

Here's an article on hairloss in Weight Loss surgery patients:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4347455/Hair-Loss-in-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Patients/

Hope you find a solid vitamin regimen that will help get your numbers up quickly.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views