Throwing Up

June W.
on 4/15/12 10:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
I just almost threw up. I say "almost" because I didn't complete the process. But I dry heaved and felt like my sleeve was going to burst. It really freaked me out. I don't want to hurt myself. I took my vitamins and some medication and it just proved too much for my stomach or something.

Did other people experience throwing up in the first few days after surgery? Did you survive without bursting your sleeve?

laurahuff65
on 4/15/12 11:11 am
 I hope you feel better! In the beginning I ate too much broccoli and headed right for bathroom and up it came! I felt the same way! But I'm fine, No lasting damage! I'm curious to read some one else's experience!

Feystorm
on 4/15/12 11:16 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I dry-heaved for quite some time after the first time I took my multi-vitamin chewables.  I guess the minerals are just too much on our tummies so soon after surgery.  The doc said it was normal and to stop taking the chewables.  He recommended a gummy version instead.  My flintstones vitamins are doing me good.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

hwag5149
on 4/15/12 11:16 am
I was that way in the hospital. I scared the **** out of me. Everytime I would gag it would make me think I was going to rip my stomach open. The surgeon assured me I was fine. I was dry heaving 10000000 times in the hospital and a few times I did actually throw up stomach acid. He sent me home with anti nausea medicine. Maybe you should ask for some or at least ask if an over the counter kind is ok... Btw, my stomach was fine and I never had an issue.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Chanciekd
on 4/15/12 12:06 pm - MS
VSG on 01/23/12
I did the same thing maybe 6 weeks after surgery taking vitamins.   In fact, when I threw up, there was a lot of blood.  Really scared me.  My doc told me to switch to chewables.  I haven't had any problems since. 
Jennifer B.
on 4/15/12 12:14 pm - GA
VSG on 04/13/12
I dry heaved like crazy the day after because of the barium drink they made me drink for the leak test. It was so horrible I thought I was going to kill myself from it! That was my first "made a big mistake" though I had and I hadn't even left the hospital yet. Now I am so scared of everything because I do not want to puke again. Good Luck . 

Tia M.
on 4/15/12 1:40 pm - Killeen, TX
I was super nauseated after surgery! The day after when they were trying to get me to intake fluids, I couldn't because everything triggered my gag reflex. I dry heaved heavy and it was really hard to stop, but i was able To get it under control long enough to call the nurse. The had to give me a super stron anti-nausea med that knocked me out for the rest of the day. The next day I was fine. My nurse did say that nausea can last for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Just continue to take the anti nausea meds I hope they sent home with you. I didn't pop stitches or my sleeve. I don't think you have either. It should take a lot more than that to bust your sleeve. However, I would encourage you to keep open communication with your Dr. 
Hope you feel better.

vroni492
on 4/16/12 6:33 am - MI
Sorry about that!  Dry heaving is the worst.  Well, sometimes it doesn't get any better.  I am 8 months out and am still vomiting -- usually because I eat too fast, so remember to really chew your food and eat VERY slowly and you should be o.k.  Your body is still adjusting to how much food it can take in.  It takes a long time to get used to it.  I am down to vomiting only 1-2 times per week now.  
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views