Husband is pre-diabetic :(

countrytat
on 4/18/12 4:33 am - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
My husband just found out today that his Ac1 ?? is 6.5...not sure if I said that right.... anyway, he tried to hide it from me, the doctor prescribed him  the tool for checking your sugar :(.  He is 6ft 3 in. and weight 310 lbs....has a BMI of 40 and would qualify for the sleeve. I keep trying to get him to do the surgery, but he is hemming and hawwing about it and I know ideally it is his choice, not mine.  He has a family history of Diabetes, Very high tryglicerides ( even when he weighed 200lbs) and heart disease, just as I do and he thinks its just something that he is gonna get anyway and there is nothing he can really do about it.... unfortunatly he thinks that way about life in general regarding work too. He did say he is gonna watch his food better, but he is a chocolate and pizza addict, so we all know how that goes.

I just want for him to be healthy, any suggestions on how to get him to seriously think about the surgery more?

Could_It_Be
on 4/18/12 4:42 am
 Just be a great example for him. Maybe when he realizes how much healthier you are, he will consider it.

Ultimately, it absolutely has to be his choice, you know?

VSG on 6/22/11
doggz109
on 4/18/12 4:46 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Well.....he has to want it for himself.  You can't force it or he will resent you.

That being said....I was also pre diabetic 4 months ago (A1C 5.8).  Doc said it was only a matter of time before it went up to 6, then 7, then 8.

I am 3 months post op and my blood sugar rarely goes above 90 and my A1C is now 4.3.

It works and he should get off this freight train called diabetes before it really gets moving.
countrytat
on 4/18/12 4:52 am - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
I know he has to want it himself... and he does want to loose weight, but like most on here its a mental thing for him...he eats a package of mint oreos in a night or two.... constantly.... chocolate syrup, he will squirt in his mouth and wa**** down with milk..... pizza... he will eat half of it... sometimes more depending on the size of it.

The Doc said his A1c is a 6.5.... so I KNOW thats not good!... His dad was diabetic also.

He has seen how much thinner I am and healthier I am, portion control is a huge thing for him and he doesnt want to get to skinny which to him is below 220...and I agree with him on that part, but I told him he will be able to eat most things eventually....IN MODERATION..... otherwise his little tummy will spit it back at him!

Most Active