Beans - Anybody eat 'em?

Stronger1
on 4/18/12 2:44 am - Charlotte, NC

I liked eating beans (black beans, white beans, pinto, lima and black eyed mostly)  a lot before surgery, but now I'm afraid to eat them in case they hinder my weight loss even more.  It seems sometimes "carbohydrates" is a dirty word on this board, but beans are actually good, unrefined carbs and a good source of fiber, right?  So does anyone here eat beans on occassion and how do you prepare them?  Do you find it slows down your loss or makes you crave carbs even more?

jaded123
on 4/18/12 2:56 am - MD
Of course, I can only speak for myself.  But I occasionally have beans.  I put kidney beans in my chili, and sometimes have BBQ beans.   They don't affect carb cravings, for me. 
However, I don't eat bread, crackers, rice, pasta, potatoes, any of that.  THAT is what keeps carb cravings away, again, for me.  My carbs come from fruits, veggies, and the dairy products I have.  I've also had to cut out protein bars.  that hurt!  I love those things.  but they DID slow down my weight loss. 

My nutritionist wants me to have more carbs than I do.  But I'm still trying to lose my last few pounds, so I'm keeping them low(er).  In maintenance I will up the carbs, but still stay away from sugar/flour/rice/pasta, that type of thing.

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175

Otterwench
on 4/18/12 2:56 am - Camano Island, WA
I will eat them again once I reach goal, but not during the weight loss phase.  While they are a great source of protein, they also are high in carb, so they will hinder the weight loss.  I have eaten them a few times without a problem, once refried beans (no-fat), and once in a turkey chili.  Just smart to avoid them until you've reached your goal and then add them in slowly and see how your weight responds.  Good luck! :)

~Sandi 

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

hrford
on 4/18/12 3:10 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I can't imagine life without them.  So I will work them in.  It also matters on how you count your carbs total no matter where they came from then beans are hard to do.  BUT if you count net carbs it's easier because they have a fair bit of fibre in them.  For me they don't cause any sort of carb craving.  

At the moment I'm keeping my carbs well below 40 a day and still have a tbsp here or there of beans.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

jbskaggs
on 4/18/12 3:22 am - holt, MO
 I eat them all the time.  If they are cooked slow and long they get very tender and easy to eat and a good source of protien and fibre.  Also stir in buttermilk or sourcream for more calcium and a creamier flavor.

Of course since my surgery I can't eat but a small bit then Im full.  If I had to finish off a pot of beans just by myself it would take a year.

dejahsmom096
on 4/18/12 3:38 am
I eat them at least once a week.(Black bean,lima beans and crowder peas) Love them.
T.R       

Donna B.
on 4/18/12 3:53 am

i had ham and bean soup this week.  i also love black beans or red kidney beans in chili.  Occasionally i eat lentil soup.  i also eat peas in small quantity combined with nonstarchy veg.

i don't eat a low carb diet.  however, i stay away from refined carbs like they are the plague, bec every time i tried a refined carb since surgery it was a disaster.

Even with eating complex carbs i have not had a stall since 3-week post op and i don't exercise regularly.

my brother who has been to medical school says that you cannot lose weight without eating carbs.  he gave a biochemical explanation that i don't remember probably bec i didn't understand it. 

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

Stronger1
on 4/18/12 3:54 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks for responding!! I'm glad to see people still having success while enjoying beans. I'm seeing some black bean soup in my future!!
lizardcc
on 4/18/12 3:56 am - CA
I eat them a couple of times a week.  My nutritionist even recommends it!  sometimes i have them refried.  they don't seem to hurt me?

HW 271; SW 267; GW 167    
Jane B.
on 4/18/12 4:07 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with
I make a lentil and bean (kidney) casserole and I also make vegetarian chili with kidney beans.  I have had these on occasion, but the carb content is quite high.  I don't think there is any harm in having that 1/2 cup once in a while.  It didn't create any carb cravings for me and I will continue to add it into my meal plan every 2-3 weeks.  Its very healthy, and for myself being a vegetarian, the protein and fiber are especially good for me.
HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

Most Active