A little nervous about no/low carb, hi protein lifetime eating

Ohiogirl
on 4/22/12 6:25 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I'm looking into sleeve surgery (i'm a 60 yo failed Lapband patient - removed in 2007) - will be self pay - still deciding on where to go (Mexico is a no for me) in Northeast Ohio BUT as I read all the posts about how little carbs and how much protein sleevers eat after surgery longterm - I'm concerned. I realize carbs are what got me to 300 lbs but I have other issues that maybe some of you have also, so I would like to hear how you deal with them.

I only have one kidney - due to kidney cancer 10 years ago - so technically it threw me into stage 3 CKD even though my remaining kidney is functioning well - I am allowed to have 70 -80 gm protein a day.  I also have diet controlled diabetes (no meds yet) and I still suffer from periodic bouts of hypoglycemia.  

So I wonder how to deal with high protein and really low carb lifetime eating with these two issues.  Since I haven't been able to find my surgeon yet - waiting on info from Cleveland Clinic, St Vincent (in Cleveland) and University Hospitals plus Dr Zofragkis (in Akron) and Dr Alapata (in Sharon, Pa) - so I haven't spoken to the dr or NUT yet.  Trying to do research on my own so I can be prepared for all questions.

If you have any expereince with any of the above - including the drs mentioned - please advise.

Thanks.

PoohHag
on 4/22/12 6:32 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 The diabetes will be more or less cured on high protein, low carb.  The hypoglycemia can be managed, but may disappear as well.

I can't speak to the kidney issues, but I'm thinking about 80 gm of protein is what most stick to anyway.

bbearsmama
on 4/22/12 6:34 am
RNY on 02/28/13
 Do you see a nephrologist regularly? I would ask him/her about this.

I, too, have wondered about the diet's effects on the kidneys.

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

ruggie
on 4/22/12 6:35 am - Sacramento, CA
Ok, so don't be nervous.  You've got a challenge ahead of you, but that's ok.  Because medical people will support you, and we'll be here for you as well.

Some thoughts -

1)  You can still do high protein, low-carb - you'll just need to monitor your kidney levels and get blood tests every month or quarter.

2)  Even if you can't eat "enough" protein - you'll still lose a lot of weight.  It's just that most (not all, but most) of u**** goal by doing a low-carb diet.

3)  You can go slower and still be successful - I'd rather supplement your diet with healthy fats rather than carbs.  Why?  Carbs increase insulin, insulin causes us to store fat.  Protein and  fats don't cause insulin increases and help keep us in fat-burning modes.

4)  You'll need to work with a nutrionist a little more closely than most need to - but that's ok!

This challenge is still better than being (moridbly) obese the rest of your life, right?

Can't help you with surgeons in that area, but I completely relate to your mentality to not have surgery out-of-country (not knocking for those who did - just a personal choice).  Don't know if you're willing to fly to the West coast for your surgery, but if so, I just wrote up a review of my surgeon.

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/22/12 6:35 am
Many sleevers do very low carb in the weight-loss phase and then add in some healthy carbs during maintenance.  So while protein is a focus for life, it's not necessarily no-carb for life.  The trick is to stay away from those trigger foods (varies by person) and stick to healthy carbs while avoiding the white ones.

I only have one kidney as well.  Lost the function of the other one when I was 12 due to a massive kidney infection.  Thus far, it's not been an issue for me and my kidney functions on my lab work look stellar.  

Keep researching and make the best decision for YOU!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Mom4Jazz
on 4/22/12 6:38 am
I did low carb during loss, but am now doing moderate carbs in maintenance. Mostly I avoid sugars and starches (the white stuff) and moderate the rest. I'm at about 100 carbs a day, but focusing on veggies and complex carbs with limited simple carbs.

I don't eat low fats, but I monitor the types of fat to make sure I'm eating healthy fats rather than unhealthy ones.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Elaine H.
on 4/22/12 6:47 am, edited 4/22/12 6:47 am
I had my surgery at 65 yrs old - had sleep apnea - diabetes- fast ticking heart & heart attack - perifial artery disease - cancer (breast)- emphysema - hypertension - cholesterol & triglycerides out the roof - I should be dead. I have none of those issues any longer and am on no medications.
This surgery is a life saver. I have a friend who has failed kidneys and the key is 64oz or more of water a day. The 1st 6 months is the time yu will loose 75% of your weight and you can add healthy carbs like squash, green beans, peppers etc.
You will do well and have another chance at life.
Your decision. This site is a godsend keep on it.
          VSG 3/21/11    HW 322  SW  298  CW  200 GW  175  5'7"    age 65                                                                           
Shanester66
on 4/22/12 7:23 am - PA
VSG on 02/09/12
I was an insulin dependent diabetic before my sleeve.  After sleeve my sugars are normal and I am no longer on insulin or meds.  I eat a pretty balanced diet.  I try to take in 60-100 grams of protein per day.  I also excersise pretty regularly (mostly walking).  I am about to start weight training again which is something I have done most of my life.  I use this caloric/excercise program to help keep me on track.  www.livestrong.com
This program is fantastic and has really helped me stay on track.  I highly recommend it.
Good luck to you.
Thanks for all the help!!

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 4/22/12 7:44 am
I have problems with hypoglycemia pre-op, and even more so post op; but following the plan my nutritionist and I set up, it has been minimal problems.  Most of my hypoglycemia, when I am low, can easily be corrected with a piece of fruit.  My doctor isn't too strict on the carbs... we follow the south beach diet plan... and mine is slightly modified due to the hypoglycemia.  I would recommend, as others suggested, working more closely with the nutritionist.  I average about 70 to 80 grams of protein a day.

comeundone
on 4/22/12 12:12 pm - OH
I had mine at University with Alan Saber he was a good Doctor his nurse is Great... but if you have a choice go to their Tri-point hospital for surgery the nurses in Case Med. suck!  My friend had her DS at Cleveland Clinic and loves her Doctor.
HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views