Getting Sleeved Friday! And OMG, a clothing dilemma!

louisamay
on 4/24/12 1:44 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I am going to Hawaii the third week in June.  I will be at a couple of events where I have to look nice/good.

I'm already dealing with the idea of a last minute shopping trip to buy what to wear to those events (a wedding and a rehearsal dinner) but it just hit me.  I will not just need something to wear to those events. I'll need an entire week's wardrobe!!!

And of course, clothes to wear for that week that  won't be wearing a couple of weeks later.

I can do this. I can. (Yes, really, I can.)

If I say it enough, it will come true, am I right?

I love packing light and traveling light so the idea of mix and match and easily hand-washed clothes are not new to me.  It's only that I never put 2 and 2 together and got the big picture until just now, and I needed to hyperventilate a bit.

Advice is always welcome, whether for getting through the next week, or fashion!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Prple
on 4/24/12 1:51 am - VA
VSG on 07/17/12 with
 Ohhhh Hawaii... How fabulous!  Think chiffon or other light fabric.... That can be worn lose or perhaps with a soft belt.  Look for a flowing type top that you wear a tank underneath.  I have some interesting ones from qvc.  Consider a skirt or pants with a drawstring waist so that you can get additional wear.  Also solid basics and then get fabulous scarfs or a vest to change up the look.

Enjoy the event
Joann

louisamay
on 4/24/12 1:53 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Scarves, vests, accessories.  Yes!  Good plan.  That's the one thing I've never been big on, but for this trip it will be a smart idea. Thanks.

NewtoYou
on 4/24/12 2:00 am
VSG on 09/10/12
It's hawaii!    I'd go with dresses!  Sun dresses are forgiving and can fit a multitude of sizes so you will get more use of them.  Also, you can make them smaller with chunky or slim belts or a scarf.

louisamay
on 4/24/12 2:33 am
VSG on 04/27/12
No matter what size I am I have an apple shape/no waist so have to get really thin before I go with belts, but that's a good idea with the sundresses.  Thanks!

royaltys_journey
on 4/24/12 2:12 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
I lived in Hawaii for 5 years, just moved away last year, and still miss it. I would definitely recommend the sundresses and the drawstring pants as well. So much you can do with both that everyone else has already said. I think there will be times you will want the pants. There are lots of inexpensive hawaiin type dresses for sale when you get there as well. (Check out the International market). Have a great time and absolutely wear that sunscreen!
louisamay
on 4/24/12 2:35 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Believe me, I'll be wearing sunscreen and long sleeves.  I've had skin cancer removed from my arm and from my nose, so can't fool around with that.  By Hawaiian style dresses, do you mean muumuus (or however you spell it)?

royaltys_journey
on 4/24/12 4:20 am, edited 4/24/12 4:22 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
Mumus is an option but can be a little bit old fashioned. They're more like maxi dresses, tank dresses, or tube top long dresses now in hawaiian flower patterns. I found a couple stores that have good photo samples just to give you an idea of what I am trying to describe (links below). Are you staying in Waikiki? It seems like there are a million places to buy these kinds of dresses with all kinds of fun patterns and beautiful fabrics. The international market is centrally located in Waikiki and will have lots of clothing shops that you can price shop a little bit.

http://store.alohafunwear.com/set-ky449.html

http://www.waveshoppe.com/hawaiian-dresses.htm

This one shows a bigger photo of the stetchy tube top long dress: These are uber comfortable and really do look great on a lot of people.

http://www.waveshoppe.com/images/Hawaiian-dresses/tube-top-d ress-purple.jpg

Edited to add: Excellent about the sunscreen too! I worked on a cruise ship a couple years and the places people would get burnt...ouch...like top of their feet, scalp, back of their arms and knees. Glad you are ahead of the game in a way there!
louisamay
on 4/25/12 2:56 am
VSG on 04/27/12
This is SO helpful! I can't thank you enough! We'll be on the Big Island but I'm thinking there will be shops there that may have similar things.

royaltys_journey
on 4/26/12 10:10 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
There definitely are places on Big Island (BI) too, especially if you are on the Kona side of the island. The Hilo side has a few less but even if you go to the Walmart, they have Hawaiian type dresses. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with! (Just a side food note...the Kona Brewing Company has an AMAZING freshmade hummus...I know weird place to find hummus but it really is awesome and comes with all kinds of veggies to dip and they of course have great pizza for the rest of the group).
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views