Just when I thought I was sure, I read

Ohiogirl
on 4/28/12 6:05 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
the posts about the leaks happening several weeks/months after surgery.  Scares me cause i will be self pay and 1 1/2 hours away from hosptial that  will cover complicaitons for 90 days post op.  Scared i won't make it in time but also if a leak happens after the 90 days, I won't have any coverage.

Surprised too about foamies and sliming that Elina talked about.  If we do things the right way, not overeating and eating slowly - that ca still happen months post op?  

Next thing - I'll be seeing about blood clots - which was my original fear - so anyone who has had a blood clot - please post - because I might as well hear all the bad and get it over with.
ruggie
on 4/28/12 6:25 am - Sacramento, CA
Also, you might die from a heart attack before your surgery.

You also might die from one after your surgery.

There's always cancer and buses too.

On the positive side, a leaking stomach will typically take more than 90 minutes to kill you, so that's in your favor ;)

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

jengo1971
on 4/28/12 7:18 am
OMG ruggie, this reply reminded me of something frisco would say!   You brought a smile to my face for sure.

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Wildoatslady
on 4/28/12 7:23 am
Like. 
StartWeight:264
Surgery date 11/23        
slimpickins5280
on 4/28/12 10:23 am - CO
 ninja ruggie. The force is powerful in you.

OP - JMO of course, but your chances of dying from the band inside you is greater, far greater than having complications from the Sleeve.

You are self pay, so pick the very best doctor. If he or she has a single death from his surgery - run away. If he or she has more than 1% leak rate, run away. If he or she has more than 1% complication rate, run away.

There are plenty of good doctors and you WILL get what you pay for.

Last time I checked my doc had 3 fatalities - none of which were his patients - they were ER visits from other doctors' patients. He wasn't able to save them. But, he tells us about them because he treats them like his own.

Find the best doctor. Don't skimp.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Brenda777
on 4/28/12 7:25 am, edited 4/28/12 7:25 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 If you are self pay, buy BLISS insurance through your hospital and you will be covered for complications.  I bought the 18 month policy.

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Ohiogirl
on 4/28/12 4:17 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I live in Ohio - BLISS is only available from 6 drs in Ohio - none in any of the programs I am considering - they (BLISS) are all too far away.  Even if you get the insurance - is it only good for the original surgeon and hospital?
edelu
on 4/28/12 7:31 am - los angeles, CA
There as many reasons not to have surgery as there are to have it. make a list of both, see which s the longest. Also figure out how painful it is for you to be obese.  You'll see the path you need to take.
jacreasy
on 4/28/12 11:42 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 Yes if your going to revise then you need to be at peace with your decision and only you can make that choice... Good Luck. PS I was sleeved this past monday 4-23-12 so far so good!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

comeundone
on 4/28/12 7:41 am - OH
 The percentages of sleeve patents getting a leak is less than 1 percent. Here is some information on complications after sleeve.You should look at this and other sleeve boards such as verticalsleevetalk.com and gastricsleeve.com.You can also check with your doctor,they can tell you their complication rate
http://www.livestrong.com/article/261759-gastric-sleeve-post-op-complications/

http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/gastric-sleeve/

http://www.mdnews.com/news/2012_03/05737_marapr2012_advancin g-the-field

HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views