Must drink 100 ounces!

TheBiscuit
on 5/6/12 12:06 am - TX
Ever since two months post-op I have been a die-hard drinker. I almost always consume in excess of 100 ounces of water/other beverages a day. Ever since I started this trend I find that if I go a day without drinking that amount, I wake up feeling extremely dehydrated. Sluggish, dried out... even if I only drink the "necessary" 64 ounces. It just isn't enough. 

I feel like I may have trained my body to require around 100 ounces a day! Not sure how I feel about that... Anyone else experience this?
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

trayb17
on 5/6/12 12:10 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I have noticed the same thing. I wasn't a big water drinker before being sleeved. Now I definitely need to stay hydrated or my mouth is dry and I feel like crap.
moonglo82
on 5/6/12 12:10 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I think it's the other way around... I think that when we get in the amount of fluid we need, we feel better, and therefore when we don't get as much in, we can tell a difference. It's like our sense or normalcy has changed, if that makes sense.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

rhearob
on 5/6/12 12:18 am - TN
 I notice this sometimes as well.  I usually try to follow the forumla of drinking half your body weight in lbs in ounces of water (so for me, at least 110 ozs of water at 220 lbs).  I always remember my NUT saying in our post op class, 64 is a MINIMUM not a GOAL.  So I don't feel bad blowing the 64 number right on by.

Kind oflike moonglo said, i think the more we get used to being properly hydrated, we get sensitive to any dehydration - even slightly.  Unfortunately, the norm in our society is to live day to day slightly dehydrated.  Most people don't ever realize that they are dehydrated.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

moonglo82
on 5/6/12 12:59 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Yep... that's exactly what I meant.  I'm a little groggy this morning, so for some reason I couldn't get the words out quite the way I meant them... lol :)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

econtiff
on 5/6/12 2:36 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 When I went through boot camp, I drank a ton of water, I mean a ton. We'd have these canteens and have to have x amount drank by a certain time or dump them on our heads. Yea, fun, right?

Ever since then, I have to have more and more to drink. I can't fathom how my husband goes hours without drinking anything. I carry water bottles with me everywhere and always have. My car and house looks like a graveyard of plastic half the time. Don't worry, environmentalists, I reuse them, that's why it looks like that. I am sooo glad I am drinking way more normally now. It makes me feel sane but I'm nowhere near pre-op. I want to be so hopefully soon. 

Oh and the protein makes me thirstier lol. 

Anway, I think you have shifted your body's expectation. :)
edelu
on 5/6/12 8:32 am - los angeles, CA
I think the more you drink, the more your body gets used to it.  like eating 4000 cals a day, long enough your body will want that.  Pre-surgery i used to drink a gallon a day and a day that i would be out all day and catch as catch can with the water would leave me feeling crappy the next day.  Now i drink 120 ozs and my body expects it.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views