Going for consult on Friday - narrowed it down to

Ohiogirl
on 5/9/12 7:10 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 two surgeons/programs in the Cleveland area.  Both surgeons are considered first class but I am self pay and one program is $5000 more than the other.  I am going to go to consults with both - to see what the differences are in their programs - I do know one is a teaching hospital and one is not.  The one that is not the teaching hospital is the more expensive one - does that make it better and worth $5000 because no residents or students will be involved in my care?  I just don't know and that is why I am meeting with both surgeons to get a feel for them as well as finding out from each of them if i am a candidate for the sleeve.

Anyone with any questions or comments that might help me in my quest for the best - please chime in!!

Mexico is not an option for me.
hurleygirlie
on 5/9/12 7:24 am
VSG on 05/22/12 with
I'm self-pay also.   I live in Rochester MN with the well renowed Mayo Clinic.  My first thought would be to go to the clinic I am using for all of my other care, however, when I called the estimating office to find out the cost, I almost cried.  VSG is about $40,000 to $44000 depending on how long you need to stay in the hospital.  I checked in the Twin Cities, and different clinics ranged from $22,000 to the same $44000.

I have decided to have my surgery with Dr. Nick Nicholson in Plano TX.  After researching his website, viewing the testimonials, researching him on this site, and speaking with his office staff, Dr. Nicholson was the obvious choice.  The surgery will be $12000 for everything, plus air fare.  Yes, I have to travel several states away, and my husband can't be with me for the day of surgery, but he will be coming down the day I am released from the hospital to stay with me over night in Texas and to fly home with me.  This decision is the best for me and my family.  I am comfortable with the care that I have already received from Dr. Nicholson - he even called me on his day off to discuss a few questions he had - very good bedside manor - and I'm sure the week in Texas will be an extraordinary experience.

Just do you homework, and go with the program that you feel is best and most confortable for you.  As good as Mayo Clinic is in almost every area, I just don't feel that I would get the benefit of a better experience for an additional $30000 than I am receiving in Texas.

Take care, and good luck!

Jane

Ohiogirl
on 5/9/12 7:36 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Thanks for your input - I am not a flyer so I pretty much have to stay close to home.  I am also concerned about having surgery too far from home and not being able to get follow up care if I have any complications.  While the self pay prices are more than $12000 - they are certainly no where near $44000.  
Good luck and keep us posted.

Paula
hurleygirlie
on 5/9/12 7:44 am
VSG on 05/22/12 with
I completely understand your concerns about after-care.  I discussed this with my family physician at Mayo regarding working with Dr. Nicholson on the post-op care, and she was in complete agreement to work with him when I required blood tests, etc.  I will have life-time aftercare with Dr. Nicholson, but of course, it won't be on a monthly basis like it would be if I was local, but everyone is willing to work together to make this happen for me. 

I'm excited that losing weight will help with my rheumatoid arthritis - who knew that excess fat caused inflammation in the body?  Well, this girl is gonna do soemthing about this - RA is not gonna slow me down!  This grandma is only 47, and has half her life ahead of her to play with grandbabies!   Might as well be a healthy, sexy grandma, don't ya think?

Jane

Ohiogirl
on 5/9/12 8:03 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I think I am more worried about a leak or some complication like that.  But I am glad you have some back up in case you need it.
I'm with you - I'm excited - hoping I get cleared for surgery - hd the LapBand in 2004 - had it removed in 2007 - battled cancer in 2001 - looking to live a fun and healthy life.

Speaking of grandkids - my oldest turns 18 today and my youngest is 9 months old ,  with most likely a few more to come - I have 7 already.  I am 60, have hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, need knee replacements and have an arthritic spine.  I think this surgery can/will make my life more pleasant and easier to live.  I hope it solves some of the above health issues and lessens the other ones.  Even if I have to have knee surgery - can only help to have 100-150 lbs off.

So I hope for you and myself that we are successful - big decision to go self-pay, but we are worth it.

Goodluck.

Paula
Ashley O.
on 5/9/12 8:11 am
If the care is good at both, good doctors, etc.. why spend the extra 5 grand..?

I had my surgery done at a teaching/research hospital (cincinnati childrens hospital). as part of a research study. a few days before I turned 16 years old.. and I've had no real problems at all. super easy recovery. staff was great. i'm super happy I did it. (:

price shouldnt be the main factor in choosing a surgeon/program.. but if the two you've narrowed it down to are both great... and the only dfference is the teaching hospital thing... why not save $5000 and give residents/students the chance to learn... the licensed doctors will be there every step of the way anyway... just a thought. (:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Ohiogirl
on 5/9/12 8:19 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I'm thinking that way too but I want to see for myself if I feel any differently once I meet the surgeons and get a feel for their program.  I keep thinking I could use the $5000 for new clothes and traveling when I lose the weight but I want to feel comfortable with whoever I choose.  Guess I want to prove to myself that the less expensive program is as good as the more expensive one.  

How wonderful that you have done so well.  Continued success.

Paula
1london
on 5/9/12 10:03 am

Hi, I know we have talked, but I just wanted to tell you that I think you are being proactive in going to both Dr.'s for consultations.  You will make the best decision that way.  Good for you!  You will do great either way.  Keep us posted and best wishes! :)

Ohiogirl
on 5/9/12 3:36 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Thank you for your support and all the info you have shared.  I'll keep you posted.
rhearob
on 5/10/12 1:49 am - TN
 I would look for the following things:

1.  Is either one an ASMBS certified center of excellence?  To get that rating they have to have demonstrated rates of long term success, certain complication rates, etc.  In addition they have to have the follwoing:

2.  Dietitian that you can contact at any time if you need help
3.  Exercise physiologis on staff that you can contact at any time
4.  Support Group system in place and active
5.  Psychologist support

Ask about their complication rates, follow ups, labs, etc.  See how each handles follow up care.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views