How mu*****ups to eat when you dont have a food scale?

Krissykitty
on 5/10/12 10:17 am - Cookeville, TN
VSG on 03/15/12
I'm almost two months out and still frequently have a few bites too many and throw up. SO I've been sticking to yogurt, string cheese, and thin sliced lunch meat mostly cause I hate throwing up and cant figure out what is too much. I cant tell if im full until its too late even when I eat only a little and very slowly. Tonight I tried 1/2 a cup of chili with a TBSP of sour cream and some of it came back up, it was too much I guess. How much should I measure out to eat??
INgirl
on 5/10/12 10:39 am
About 1/4C for things meat based.. maybe a titch more for things like cottage cheese.. or yogurt.
But, I have to say I've never once thrown up or had even what I've called real discomfort from eating too much.. how long are you taking to eat? Early out - even still at 2mo, a 2oz (scale wt but volume = about 1/4C.. just hard to really measure non-liquids by volume.. best get a cheap digital) dinner of chicken breast and sauce would still be taking me well over 30 mins.. and I'd frequently only eat about 1.5-1.75oz before I was "done."

Try starting with just shy of 1/4 C of solid food, and time yourself so that you fini**** in no less than 20mins.. see if that doesn't stop the puking.. that's no fun. I really though have to give digital scales major props! 

louisamay
on 5/10/12 11:09 am
VSG on 04/27/12
People often refer to sleeves by how many ounces they will hold at time.  It was suggested to me to measure by ounces instead of weight, and that makes sense to me. Sorry I can't help with the rest.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

hwag5149
on 5/10/12 11:15 am
That's 4 1/2 liquid ounces... and that's a lot IMO especially since it has meat in it and especially for someone less than 2 months out. My dr instructed me to eat no more than 1/4 cup/2 oz of anything even if it was yogurt or cottage cheese or chicken. As I got further out I started doing things by weight.

Are you eating that much because you're hungry? I'm sure you'll be just as satisfied with 1/4 cup as you will with the 1/2 cup and you won't have the discomfort. Some people spend 30 minutes eating. Maybe you should try that.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

DanaSue
on 5/10/12 11:20 am
I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for meat , (tuna salad, chicken salad, chicken, beef) and 1/3 cup for soup or liquid  based foods.  I can eat 1/4 cup egg beaters or one egg and one strip of turkey bacon.  My surgeon told me that my sleeve is about the size of my two thumbs put together.  That put some perspective on it for me.

VGS 4-2-12

Mom78
on 5/10/12 12:25 pm
VSG on 02/10/12
I agree with everyone else, 1/4 cup at the most!

I got my scale at walmart, I think it was 19.95...  I found out that measuring with the 1/4 cup, I was eating less than I thought.  But that's ok!  I haven't thrown up...
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views