One month post op today! So hard to believe!!!

LunaChic
on 5/12/12 12:41 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with

So, YAY!!!  I am officially one month post-op today.  I never imagined being able to say this - it still feels kinda surreal that I went through with this decision and finally buckled down to make a lasting positive change in my life.  :)

So I began my soft foods phase last Thursday and it is nothing like I expected.  I've only tried tilapia and a homemade turkey burger patty.  I'm not sure if I should be concerned that I don't feel the restriction that most people say they experience here on OH.  I've heard countless people say how they really noticed more restriction when moving from mushies to soft foods, but I haven't noticed it!  Maybe I'm still trying to determine what full and hungry sensations really are, but I have been able to take 3 - 3.5 oz (weighed) of the tilapia for dinner and the same with the turkey burger. I anticipated getting full on half of the burger patty (which was a total of 3oz in weight) but it went down easy and I felt no restriction.  It makes me wonder if my new sleeve was made too large?!?!  Who knows...  

Well, I've done so well recovering from my surgery (other than a small set-back involving broken down elevators, 8 flights of stairs, and a popped stitch) and have had no issues with getting any of my phases down.  Liquids have gone down easy since my first week, but I'm still trying to get myself to REMEMBER to drink, so I am struggling with getting all 64+ oz of fluids in. I think this is the reason why I am dealing with some constipation.  

Ive also been doing pretty well with my protein intake.  I only take 1 protein supplement a day, and have managed to get at least half (if not more) of my daily protein from the foods that I eat. Along with trying to remember to drink, I am struggling with remembering my vitamins.  I manage to remember my morning dose, but forget my afternoon and evening doses!  I'm a work-in-progress, what can I say?   LOL 

I've lost exactly 25 lbs as of today.  I went from 249 on my day of surgery to 224 today.  I had a stall at 2 and a half weeks that only lasted 3 days.  Maybe it's not even worthy of calling it a stall.  LOL. I think it was mostly due to the coming of my monthly friend. PMS was absolutely relentless, but my actual "friend" wasn't too abnormal.  :)

I am grateful that I have done so well so far, with next to no complications.  For those that are pre-op, keep in mind that everyone's journey is different, but no matter how difficult or easy the path was I have seen that al most no one regrets their decision to get VSG.  I made my decision when I started to get health issues.  I was pre-everything and I did not want to end up like many of my family members.  I want to live a long, happy, and healthy life.  Some might consider me a "lightweight" but the fact of the matter is that I was also unhappy with my body and my fitness level.  I have tried for 12 years to "do it in my own" to only end up heavier, unhealthier, and more unhappy. I thank God for seeing me through this surgery, and I'm sure I have a heck of a ride ahead of me.  This is only the beginning and I'm anxious to see how far I will go with my new tool.  :)

Thanks for reading -- I hope it encourages someone. :D 

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

Marabell
on 5/12/12 1:02 am
VSG on 06/07/12
It does encourage me...I know this is going to be one of the most difficult things that I have done....but it is no where near as hard as trying to carry 185 lbs of EXCESS weight on arthritic joints and a pretty messed up back!

I cant believe you are a month out already! You seem to be doing very well...as for the lack of restriction...I have read on here that it feels that way sometimes because you got used to the swelled size and it is starting to lessen a bit...ALSO....once you hit more dense protein you really feel it more then.....I dont know first hand...but that is what I have seen posted many times. Just remember to go by the weight or measurement of food and not by how full or not you feel..

glad you are doing well.....keep posting!

LunaChic
on 5/12/12 1:41 pm - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 I wish you the very best on your upcoming surgery!!  I'm sure you're nervous and excited at the same time.  It was truly a whirlwind of emotions for me - even now.  :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Balynn34
on 5/12/12 1:17 am
VSG on 04/04/12
You're doing great!  I've wondered the same thing...about the restriction people talk about on here.  I supposedly have one of the smallest sleeves they make and I don't think it's as restrictive as I thought it would be.  I do the same as you, weigh and measure everything.  Keep up the great work!

Barbara    

LunaChic
on 5/12/12 1:43 pm - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 I will definitely ask the doc at my follow up appointment on Monday to see if it's normal for me to be able to eat the much.  :). My doc used a 34 french bougie, but they say bougie size doesn't really matter as much as the methods they use to seal up your sleeve. 

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Dawn Nash
on 5/12/12 3:38 am - HI
Congrats! So happy for you! Keep it up!

econtiff
on 5/12/12 10:01 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 Great progress!

I am amazed about the amount of fish you are able to eat. I am able to keep 1oz down.  I hit 3 weeks post op on Wednesday.

Don't let me alarm you, though, I'm no expert. Still very new myself. Can you try to eat less and still feel full, though? 

I am the most hungry in the morning. I mean like growling tummy and all. It's not like before where I feel out of control, though. I hate that I have to take my synthroid and wait 30 minutes before I can eat. Oh well, I'm adjusting. I feel like everything is about timing right now. Eat, wait. Drink drink drink.Eat wait lol. 

Keep it up!
LunaChic
on 5/12/12 1:45 pm - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 My mornings feel weird.  I don't really feel hungry, but if I wait too long to eat I start to feel really weird so I usually grab a protein shake on my way out to hold me over from feeling sick and weak and it works well. I sometimes think I feel hunger but it could be a bit of reflux or just my brain playing tricks. :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

dishawn
on 5/12/12 10:24 am - CA
 Thanks for posting.  I am getting the VSG on 5/21.  How long did you take off from work?  I am trying to gage this.  My doctor said 4 weeks!!
LunaChic
on 5/12/12 1:50 pm - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 I took 3 weeks off of work.  Seemed like a good time because I was already in mushies and getting more nutrients into my system.  I have a desk job, which doesn't require lifting but requires tons of brain power to solve problems.  While in my liquids I felt stupid and even unable to do mental math.  My brain was on vacation for a while. The only other thing that would have prevented me from going back to work sooner was the fact that regular clothes irritated my incisions and were too restrictive.  Also the sitting I did crunched up my stomach and made it sore after some time.  I'm slowly getting into the hang of being back at work, but I have already learned that eating healthy foods and remembering my liquids and vitamins plays a huge factor in how well I can perform at work.  :)

Best of wishes on your upcoming surgery!!!

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Most Active