For those you who are unable to exercise due to bad knees, back

Ohiogirl
on 5/15/12 9:05 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 how are you doing after surgery?  I can hardly move now due to arthritic knees, feet and back so i wonder if I will be able to lose weight after surgery.  I mean I'm sure I'll lose some just by cutting calories but wondering what types of exercise some of you do that have the same problem.  Obviously I'm hoping that as the weight comes off, I will be able to do more but walking is difficult as I need knee replacements - part of the reason I'm having the VSG - ortho wouldn't operate until I would lose at least 50 lbs.  

MargeAD
on 5/15/12 9:11 am - CA
My knees, ankles and hips have improved as I lost weight. At first I just walked. Then I added some weights for upper body. I can now use a recumbent bike without pain.

CaseyB
on 5/15/12 9:24 am
VSG on 03/27/12
Maybe try swimming, it is easy on the joints.

INgirl
on 5/15/12 9:30 am
Early out- I just walked.. but couldn't walk long w/o my ankle giving me fits.. sometimes grounded me for days. I still lost weight.

For the most part- unless you start serious strenuous training-type exercise- diet accounts for the VAST majority of weight loss.. work outs/activity is great for fitness (mental and physical) but for weight loss- you could conceivably lose everything without working out.. You will find though as you lose- the pain will lessen some.. and you can do more, and you will probably want to do more too! Swimming is great, walking, seated chair exercises.. any and all "activity" will help

Elaine2
on 5/15/12 9:36 am, edited 5/15/12 9:37 am - Atlanta, GA
My first few months post op, I basically did "inside exercising"--walking a path around the house, sitting in a chair doing weights, etc. (There is a DVD called Sit and Be Fit, I think). It helped me lose some initial weight pretty quickly. Then I started on pool work---walking, swimming laps, shallow          and deep water aerobics. There is also some Arthron (?) classes (water) in several places--call the Arthritis Assoc near you.

As the weight comes off, it gets easier. Now, I'm not going to kid you--I still have a bad knee and wonky vertebrae but it's manageable. I can't jog/run but I am doing the C25K program---walk and walk faster. You can make adjustments.

Look for some DVDs you can use----chair, floor, etc.  It will help

Terry H.
on 5/15/12 10:02 am
My main exercise has been water aerobics since the very beginning of my weight loss journey.  Easy on the joints and burns tons of calories.  I do 3-4 hour long sessions a week.  Try it!

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

imchatti
on 5/15/12 10:15 am - NJ
aqua classes!  awesome and no pain!

mame31
on 5/15/12 10:25 am - RI
VSG on 05/29/12
 I have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.....my knees have been giving me fits along with my feet...in preparation for my surgery I began some physical therapy and it's made a world of difference.  I still get pain and swelling....bt I have also strengthened my leg muscles and that has been the key..I feel stronger and ready to start walking and ton do the elliptical .  Have you tried some physical therapy for your knees?   I also second the recommendation for swimming!

Mame31
hwag5149
on 5/15/12 11:25 am
richard simmons has a dvd where you sit down...

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

comeundone
on 5/15/12 12:50 pm - OH
 I have arthritic knees( had 4 different sessions of orthovisc injected into both)heel spurs , degenerative disc disease in neck. I only have been cleared for walking( not even jogging) but the difference is amazing I can walk a mile sometimes two.At the beginning of my walking class it took me 18 minutes to walk a mile now it's closer to 14 (I don't try to walk fast,All the people can go around me if they want) My class started in Jan and finished last week so I walk around the block twice it's 1.06 miles together and I am not usually breathing heavy. Some people never exercise and still lose,some workout All the time,let your body be your guide.

Lynn

HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views