weight loss slowing down

AMoody
on 5/20/12 11:13 pm - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
I knew it would happen but I didnt expect to be so bummed about it, my weight loss has slowed
I have lost about 53 pounds since Feb 6th, but these last couple of weeks weight loss has only been 1-2 pounds..and Im thinking wow, I could have lost that without surgery..dont get me wrong Im loving my sleeve but sometimes these thoughts do enter into my head.. am eating between 500-800 calories but my carbs are sometimes high like 50-60, call my nut and she said I wasnt eating enought and that not to worry about carbs..Im going to keep on keeping on just wanted to get it off my chest, which seems to me to be the only place Im loosing at

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

Jackie00
on 5/20/12 11:29 pm
About the time mine slowed too, don't expect big numbers as in your first two months unless you have 200 or more pounds to lose. I find people with more weight to lose have greater numbers. Make sure you are drinking like a fish, lower your carbs and get your protein and exercise in and you will be fine. I was a little bummed out when I looked at the scale and noticed the numbers showing down as well but when I looked at the total amount it scared me to see that I lost that much weight. You are at the three month mark where there is a common stall if it hasn't hit you yet, it may soon. Mine hit at the four month mark and I hit my six month stall a month ago and things are still not moving but this is where you will notice the change in clothing. Your body is adjusting and you should be losing inches, hang in there. I would never have been able to get these 89 pounds off on my own without the surgery in this amount of time.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

seeingmyselfthere
on 5/20/12 11:41 pm
VSG on 03/07/12
morning amoody,

i know exactly how you feel - i started off losing so much so fast i was hoping to bypass the stalls i've seen EVERYONE post about - lol. but it wasn't to be.  but i stuck with my commitment to my eating plan (logging every bite - even when i would fall off course), increasing my water intake to 74.4 ounces a day and exercising 6 days a week.  even though the scale stopped moving as fast, the inches seemed to melt off and i'm down 29.2 overall inches as of today.  and about a week ago my weight loss picked up again to about a pound a day.  not sure how long it will last - but i've resigned myself to the fact that i may be a stair-step loser.  but i now know for certain, if i stay the course i will lose - the weight will come off. 

i've never questioned whether i could have lost the weight on my own - after 15 years of trying i have NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER lost 75lbs of excess weight. lol.  so be encouraged - you've done extremely well in a very short period of time - just stay on track and it will pick up again.

rhearob
on 5/21/12 12:26 am - TN
 It happens.  Don't let it get you down too much.  I get really frustrated sometimes on the slow months.  I lose really fast one month then the next month crawls by.  You will begin to see your own patterns and expect them in time.  Just focus on your plan and the successes you have already had, and more will come.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Happy966
on 5/21/12 12:32 am

Pep talk!!

You are doing great!  I know exactly what you mean by being frustrated with the loss slowing down.  Every day isn't a party on the scales!

In my mind, the value in the sleeve isn't the rate of loss, but the ability to sustain our lower-calorie food plan for the long term.  You would not be losing like this without surgery, because you would not have been able (probably) to sustain eating like this for 3-1/2 months.

I really, really think our bodies need time to adjust.  They know when to let go of the weight.  All we have to do it keep on keeping on!  Rah!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

ib40
on 5/21/12 1:55 am
I agree 100% with Happy! The value of the sleeve isn't really the loss itself, it is the help in keeping it off. In effect, the sleeve can save us from ourselves! I chart all of my losses--I always have, which is why I was comparing this current loss with the last time I was this weight, thanks to Medifast. I weighed 167 lbs. for maybe one day back in 2009. I also chart all of my inches lost, so I can compare where I was then and where I sit now. It's pretty similar. So I HAVE done it myself before.

The difference this time is that I'm not fighting myself every step of the way and eventually gaining it all back (which I obviously did or I wouldn't be on this forum now). The other difference is that I know I still have more to lose, no matter how slowly it is occurring. Please look at my ticker to witness just how much I've slowed down. You and I started at close to the same weight. It is a process and everyone's is different. I'm not going to say I'm thrilled to be plodding along (like the turtle in my ticker) while others who had surgery after me zoom by, but at least the numbers on the scale are still going in the right direction.

emdesq
on 5/21/12 1:13 am
The bottom line is that you are doing GREAT! Focus on the long-term, don't get bogged down in the day to day movement (or non-movement) of the scale.  In my 8 1/2 months of post-op, I have had periods of up to two weeks where the scale didn't budge AT ALL.  Then it will stair-step down as much as six pounds in two days.  Just today I was down another two pounds, after being down two on Sunday and two on Friday.  And I haven't exercised very much in the past week! Sometimes the scale doesn't seem to make sense.  Remember - this is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Keep up the good work!

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
Carmelita
on 5/21/12 1:22 am, edited 5/21/12 1:27 am - Four Corners, NM
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 4:43 am
I agree with Happy. I'm in the same place you are - slow losing! On an emotional level is totally SUCKS! I want to be at goal - yesterday! LOL. I'm so close to goal, it's kind of killing me that my weight loss has slowed so much.

Logically I know I'm doing everything right, so I've decided I'm okay with the slower loss. I didn't arrive at that place right away though. It took time. I dealt with personal frustration, self sabotaging thinking, but also sought advice from those who had already gone down the path before me.

What I've also come to realize is that without my sleeve I would not have been able to keep up and maintain the eating plan I'm on.  That plan has allowed me to be so successful. I have come to accept that the last bits to come off will come off a lot more slowly and part of my journey is going to be to learn to be patient with my body while it adjusts to all the changes it has gone through since my surgery.

I hear you loud and clear. I've been where you are- actually just coming out of it. You are not alone and you did the right thing posting your frustration. That gets it out of your head where it has so much less power!
AMoody
on 5/21/12 10:10 pm - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement, that was EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Thats why you guys are the best! I will keep on keeping on and rocking this sleeve! Have a great day everyone and remember to get your protein in!

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views