Alta Bates Medical- Oakland, CA (Anyone??)

BlueEyes89
on 5/21/12 3:33 am, edited 5/21/12 3:34 am - Hayward, CA
Hi All,

Is there anyone on here that is going through Oakland's Alta Bates Bariatric Program. I am trying to get a general idea of how fast they schedule surgery after seeing the surgeon. I am hoping that the surgeon doesn't require me to do extra tests since I have had good medical history, only 23 years old and lost 27lbs already.

Any stories?
SW- 281.6
GW- 125
CW- 234.4
Time on Diet: 18 weeks
Total Lost: 47.2 lbs.
NUJoyce
on 5/21/12 12:47 pm - Hayward, CA
Hi:

I had surgery on October 4th of last year. 

I did most of my test before hand because a strange insurance problem.  I started with Alta Bates in June 2010.   I found out in July that my insurance had dropped them.   They were being added again and it would take a few months.   So I went ahead and started scheduling the preop appointments.   I found out in early November that it could take 6 months for them to be added back to the insurance.    So I found another program in Burlingame.   I saw them in November and December and in January they submitted for approval with insurance company.   They found out in March that I had to have 6 months under doctors care with 3 months in a row.    So I went in March, April and May and then in May they submitted and we found out that as of April 1st they no longer were contracted on my insurance.    I started figuring out how I was going to pay if only 60% was covered.   I decided to call Alta Bates in June and as luck would have it they were added back.  My first appointment in the end of June and they called in August to schedule the surgery three weeks later.   I had to delay because of work committments.

They will require that you do the tests.   They want to make sure that there is nothing wrong.  The tests are scheduled very quickly. 

They are simply the best.   

The post op group on the 2nd Saturday of the Month is the best!    Feel free to email me in your have any questions....

Make sure you tell them that you have lost 27 lbs already so they can take that into account.   

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views