Any June 6th sleeves? Worried/Anxious/Scared/What am I doing???

dhash
on 5/22/12 10:22 am
Hello,

I have been lurking  on  this site, since Jan 2012, I  discovered some very good information,tips,and most of all, very caring people, that have been where I am headed, I went to my surgeon today and got the date of June 6, i have been considering this since last August, and just decided to gather more information beginning of this year, now that I have a surgery date set, I am thinking what am I doing to my self, I am 53 years old been fat all my life, why change now? I am self pay, my husband is very supportive, I have decided to tell no one else my decision, i did not want to answer the questions that comes along, at this time, needed " me" time. In Jan 2012, i started walking and cut back on food intake drastically, far from perfect but trying really hard, today i had lost 37 pounds, I have faith in my Dr. and God's hands, so whats the problem?
 any advice will be greatly appreciated, what to take to the hospital? what to do and not do? any, any advice, thanks so much in advice and congrats to all of you that have had the courage to go forward I hope I can also.
Elaine N.
on 5/22/12 10:45 am - Hiddenite, NC
VSG on 06/12/12
 I'm 51 and right behind you in all your thoughts.  I began seriously thinking about this in January when I first thought about doing the lap band.  After attending a WLS seminar I knew that I really needed more restrictions than the lap band provided and felt better about VSG than the bypass.  I was first scheduled for surgery at the end of March and when I first got that date I started having all those feelings you are having.  When my surgery had to be delayed until June 12th I was really disappointed and have had way too much time to think and rethink.  What if I could do a liquid diet on my own and lose?  What if I am too old and should just learn to love myself? (Which I do love myself as I am but know I am not healthy.) I posted my what ifs one day and one user gave me this advice....If we could have done it by now don't you think we would have?  I know there are still some out there who may be able to make the changes and be successful.  I know this, I've tried every January for over 20 years to begin that new eating lifestyle that would help me lose and by next January I'm right back where I started.  I think I've made a wise decision.  I leave it in God's hands to keep me safe and I will be responsible to learning all over again how to eat the right way.  God bless, keep me informed about how you are doing.  (Also, I started a June Sleevers Group you may want to join)

God will turn our weakness into strength.
dhash
on 5/23/12 12:19 am
Elaine  N.

thanks for your reply, i read that post you were speaking of and i also kept that thought in my head, "If we could have done it by now don't you think we would have" weight loss for me is going to be a lifelong battle, my dr. wants me to lose 140 lbs that seems impossible to me, so far out of reach, we will see, i will never be a skinny minney, i don't really want to be that maybe if i was 20 something, i just want to be  at a healthy weight and enjoy my grandkiddos, see them grow, get my cholestrol levels down, we will do this together, i have started my 2 week pre-op diet, day 1  when is your surgery date? thank you and warm hugs to you
lucy2e
on 5/22/12 11:02 am - Laurel, MD
Hi dhash!  To answer your question - what am I doing to myself - you are giving yourself the best gift you have ever given, your health!

I had my sleeve 1 year ago on 6/1.  I can honestly say I LOVE my sleeve.  I have lost just short of 135 lbs so far.  I am a little younger than you (43 now) but have seen lots of people over 50 who have done it.  I found the surgery and recovery not too bad - it was my first ever surgery, so I have nothing to compare it to.  As to what to bring to the hospital - the most important thing is lip gloss - I like burst bees, but any that you like.  you will get dried out and wont be able to drink at first - so it will be a big help.

Other than that - some clean undies, stuff that is baggy so nothing presses on you incisions, slippers or flip flops, and maybe a little something to read - oh, and bring a possitive attitude.  

There is a newbie mantra you will want to remember - sip, walk, rest, repeat.  

Good luck - you are gonna do great! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

dhash
on 5/22/12 11:48 pm
lucy2e,

Thank you for your kind words and wisdom, congrats on your wl, that is an accomplishment,  you go,i think the reason i am so scared is that i have had other surgeries before and they were not pleasant, after talking with the dr. yesterday and he told me how little the incisions were, that seemed to help a lot. i hope i can do as well as you have done and continue to do, i like bring the "postivie attiude" any other advice you can give please let me know, thank you!
Karebare50
on 5/22/12 11:16 am - Troy, NY
I am brand new to this site and my surgery date is June 4th.  I am excited but have had the thoughts you did.  I think we are doing the right thing because I have tried all the diets/exercise/resolutions, etc. and I know this will give me the tool I need to really be the healthiest I can.  I wish you the best of luck and if you think positive an dlisten to your doctors, you will be successful.  And a great support group of friends and family is important!

Karebare50

dhash
on 5/22/12 11:56 pm
Karebare50,

Isn't this site wonderful? lots of great advice from everyone, the vets and the newbies, maybe the fear of the unknow is what is scary? Your right,  positive attitude is half the battle, I also wish you the best, lets kep in touch so we can support each other also. Thanks and warm hugs to you!
Happy966
on 5/22/12 2:00 pm

OMG, I was so afraid. 

But my goodness, this has been a life-changing experience, positive in EVERY way.  Seriously.  I don't have one negative experience related to my surgery, or how I feel based on having the gastrectomy.  I feel 100% normal on the inside, just like before surgery EXCEPT I am not hungry all the time, and am satisfied by much less food. 

This surgery has been an amazing life-saver for me, and I only hope I continue to honor this second (third) chance I've been given and don't blow it by diving back into the food again.

My only advice is to not rush anything.  There is no reason to eat dense food at 3 weeks out even if your doctor okays it, and no need to push more calories than your body wants early out.  Weigh-measure-record everything you eat, good or bad.  Do not test you sleeve - trust that you will have restriction on dense foods, and don't go looking for it.  It may be more uncomfortable than you think.

Hold on to your hat and have a great adventure!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

dhash
on 5/23/12 12:05 am
Happy966,

Thank you for your words of wisdom, congrats on you wl , i have been following your posts lately and your a wealth of knowldge also, any advice you can give is very appreciated, I like your msg "There is no reason to eat dense food at 3 weeks out even if your doctor okays it, and no need to push more calories than your body wants early out.  Weigh-measure-record everything you eat," I had to laugh when you said "hold on to your hat"  I am always wearing a visor hat when i am not  at work, as i sit here my hat/visor is on, how did you know i had a hat on, have you "bugged my house"  ha. ha, thank you and warm hugs to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views