found new protein option/liquid

ERnurseMN
on 5/25/12 7:24 am - MN
I searching the Target clearance items and came across Pure Protein Quick Shots.  It is 25 g of Protein in 3 oz of grape flavored liquid.  There were 2 boxes left so I grabbed them both and hoping I would like them.  They are kinda sweet and sour at the same time but to only have to drink 3 oz for 25 g of protein I am thinking SCORE!  They are 110 cals and 1 carb.  YAHOOOOOO!  Now hopefully I can find them again......

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
emelar
on 5/25/12 7:34 am - TX
Look at the ingredients.  These shots are usually primarily collagen or collegenic or hydrolosized collagen protein.  Collagen is not a complete protein and not the kind of protein you need.  Even if the ingredients include whey, I'll betcha it's not the first protein ingredient listed.  Do not rely on these for your protein.  Find a protein that's primarily whey, soy, or cassein.  There are others that are okay, too, but those are the three biggies.
kaniac
on 5/25/12 7:40 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
Good luck

HW: 270 SW: 234 CW: 168 GW: 150 

Katiegirl1983
on 5/25/12 7:57 am - MI
VSG on 05/15/12
This peaked my interest, so here is the label. Is this good or not good?

images.vitaminimages.com/cdn/sd/pdf/F050452-AE.pdf

Start 262, current 245, surgery scheduled for 05/15/12
INgirl
on 5/25/12 8:06 am
Collagen is the first protein listed (first=most).. so, no- I'd take a pass on them. I have never found a protein shot that wasn't collagen based, sorry.
ERnurseMN
on 5/25/12 8:48 am - MN
AHHHHHHHH bummer! You are right. Thank you for telling me that I did not know the difference or that it is not okay to use. I guess I will be returning the 2nd box

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
royaltys_journey
on 5/25/12 9:07 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
Has anyone bought these (link below) off my bariatric pantry? Looks like the same idea but the protein is listed as whey? Ingredients: Triple-Filtered Water, Pure Protein Isolate Blend: (Ultra-Filtered Whey Protein Isolate, Enzymatic Hydrolyzed Protein Isolate), Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Malic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Yellow No.5 and Red No.40

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/ANSI_Protein_Ice_Power_Shot_Peach_Mango_p/ansi-pwrsht_peach_mango.htm

I haven't tried them yet so I can't comment taste-wise but I bought them for situations like long car rides where I didn't want to/wasn't able to pack a cooler. Thinking about it now...I could find a Wendy's and pack a baggie of unflavored powder. Just wanted to get everyone's input while we were on the subject. I know there are other options, I just thought this might be a good one to add to my stash.
emelar
on 5/25/12 10:41 am - TX
Looks just fine.  Go for it!
Cindy22706
on 5/25/12 9:48 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
My nut said they are ok. Check with your nut- if she/he likes them, then do it.

emelar
on 5/25/12 10:45 am - TX
Show you nut this and ask her again:

Not all protein has the same value to your body.  The amino acid profile is the reason for this. Proteins are made of amino acids.  There are 20 different ones in the human body. Of the twenty, 9 of them must be consumed to meet your daily needs. These 9 amino acids are called
Essential (EAA) or Indispensable.

The 9 EAAs are needed in certain proportions.  A protein scoring system called Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (or PDCAAS) was developed to show which products contain all the EAA and in the correct proportions. It is supported by the FDA, the World Health
Organization, and perhaps most importantly, the Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences.  The highest possible score is 100.

-- Collagen Protein gets a 0 (the lowest possible score)
-- Whey Protein Isolate gets 100 (the highest possible score)

Some proteins such as COLLAGEN or HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN protein are missing one of the EAAs entirely. So the PDCAAS for collagen is zero. Collagen is often the main ingredient in protein supplements that come
in a liquid form, and they usually have lower PDCAAS scores.

Here are some collagen products that have lower PDCAAS scores:

New Whey and Profect1: These products appear to have a PDCAAS score of 5 or 6 out of 100. Lab analyses of several samples suggest that about 94% of their protein, by weight, is from collagen.

Proteinex2: The Proteinex OTC products appear to get protein only from hydrolyzed collagen, so their PDCAAS score is 0 or virtually 0.

Pro-Stat 64 / Pro-Stat 1013: These products appear to have a PDCAAS score of about 37 out of 100.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views