Payment/Co-pay/Insurance question

Michelle10929
on 5/29/12 8:17 am - NC
Per my pre-op appt at the hospital all I need is a 300.00 copay and they'll bill the rest. And she even went on and on about payment plans ect.
Per my insurance thats all I will owe, there is no surgeon's up front fee.
Per the dr's office.. whatever the hospital said I would owe at my pre-op visit is what i owe the morning of surgery.

Ok so what happened to that information session I went to 4 months ago that said I had to have every dime paid up front? I mean.. don't get me wrong, I"m not really complaining. But dang I just took out a 4,000 401k loan for this, and now this is being treated like its just no big deal. Paying up front I thought.. has been drilled in all of our heads pretty much. I mean, at least the surgeons fees right??

Am I missing something here?
ashley J.
on 5/29/12 8:45 am - CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 Well I haven't had my surgery yet but I know that I was told that I owe a $300 co-pay for hospital (that is any time I am admitted) and a $300 surgeons office administrative fee (as they did all the work with insurance etc). So it really might be just three hundred for u to pay if no surgeon fee 

HW:315 SurgeryW:297 CurrentW:212.4 GoalW:165**M1:-25  M2:-18 M3: -13.2 M4: -13.8 M5: -4.4  M6: -7.2  M7:-3   M8: -0   M9:   M10:   M11:    1 Year Out: 

Weekly weigh-in numbers located in OH Profile area
 Blog:   http://www.ashleysweightjourney.blogspot.com

bluemems
on 5/29/12 8:58 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
I don't know your insurance in's and out's but the hospital called me two days before surgery and I had to give them a "co-pay" of a little over $2,000 (did not know this going into as no one even said it).  I have a $100 hospital co-pay and that is all I would have been expecting.  Then I got a bill the other day for $776 from the hospital....  I have to make a few calls, but don't count anything out until it is over.

loser2be
on 5/29/12 10:11 am - CA
VSG on 03/02/12
I was told the same thing I paid the 300 at the day of surgery. Then I received a bill for $770.00 I called the hospital they accepted payment arrangements.

Jill

bedazzle
on 5/29/12 10:35 am
VSG on 04/26/12
 Your copay amount is based on the plan you have. While many people may have Blue Cross/Blue Shield there are several plans within the company so everybody's plan can be different. You may have the $300 copay and then the hospital is covered 100%. Be aware that every doctor, physician assistant that walks into your room will bill your insurance. You will also see bills from the radiologist, anesthesiologist, etc. The tricky part comes when you find out one of the doctor's is not in your plan, then you may be expected to pay.
Do NOT pay any bills from the doctor or hospital that you receive until you know what it's for and you have asked your insurance why they are not paying.

lowbrass03
on 5/29/12 10:58 am - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12
 same thing here, i dook out a 4000 loan from my 403B. i was expecting a $3000 copay which i could pay the day of the surgery. I go a week early from pre op testing and to pay early (get it over with) my card doesnt go through because my dialy purchase maximum was like 2500.  so i only pay like 2000 and i  was told i could pay the rest hte day of the surgery. 
to my surprise the day of the surgery  they wouldnt take a payment and told me they refunded me $1500. that i only had to pay like $480.00 and not $3000. i said woohoo! not gonna argue with that. 
here is the thing. 
If  my surgeon had scheduled me as inpatient my copay would be around 3000-3500. which is what the hospital tried to get my surgeon to do. 
But! by surgeon said NO schedule outpatient. outpatient the copay would be aroung $500. 
this means that i would have to be out of the hospital in 24 hours. i think 23. 
anyway if i stay a few hours over, then they will charge the difference. 
hope this helps!
bedazzle
on 5/29/12 11:32 am
VSG on 04/26/12
 You can be an outpatient in the hospital for up to 72 hours as long as you doctor can justify the need for you to stay. Insurance companies (most of them) no longer use the 23 hour rule. Make sure you doctor lists you as "observation".

NUJoyce
on 5/29/12 11:43 am - Hayward, CA

I didn't have to pay anything up front and just now got the bill from the hospital 7 months after the surgery,   One of the things to note is that most insurance companies will cover all support staff in a hospital as in contract if the hospital is in contract.   Sometimes you have to call which I did and told them I didn't to choose *****ad my x-ray for the leak test and they reprocessed it as in contract.   Save me 20%.

It is all worth it.

SaraH128
on 5/29/12 12:59 pm - NC
VSG on 03/01/12
It all depends on the plan you have. I had to pay 20% for the surgeon fee up front (about $350) and then 20% of the hospital charges were billed to me. The total charge for my surgery was somewhere around $30,000. The hospital ended up billing me right around $2,500. (I have a $3,700 maximum out of pocket which I only had $2,500 left to meet for the year after all the pre-op stuff was applied to it)

All plans are different and if you have a sort of crappy plan like mine you'll end up owing a bit of money. Good thing is that just about every hospital I know of will set you up on a payment plan and they are typically pretty affordable.

Most Active