Shopping is more fun now but also more frustrating

julesGA
on 5/31/12 10:03 pm, edited 5/31/12 10:05 pm - Brunswick, GA
 Back in the 350lb days shopping consisted of ; 1. it doesn't look too much like old lady clothes  2. it covers me up  3. I like the color.    That is was flattering was a non-issue because nothing is flattering at that weight.

Now that I can shop in normal stores, albeit still in plus sizes, I find shopping more challenging.  Even though I still have a lot to lose I have a figure now and am learning how to shop to accentuate the good curves while downplaying the flaws.    I am so much more picky and will try on a dozen dresses at a time and discard each one for various reasons.  

Is anyone else having this problem or am I just making life too difficult for myself? 

trayb17
on 5/31/12 10:11 pm
VSG on 01/05/12
I have the same problem. I am much more critical of what looks good and what doesn't. I spend hours shopping now! I am excited to be able to shop in a variety of stores now but the choices are sometimes overwhelming. However, I am sure I will get used to it!
julesGA
on 5/31/12 11:51 pm - Brunswick, GA
 It is a "good" problem isn't it?!  

trayb17
on 5/31/12 11:58 pm
VSG on 01/05/12
Dawnie 88
on 5/31/12 10:35 pm
I definitely understand what you are going through.  Many times i walked into a store and after becoming overwhelmed..I just walked out frustrated.  It's a big change to go from 4x shirts and 32 pants..and not having much in way of choices..to finally having options.  I still hold up pants and look at them..and think there is no way they will fit me..but I try them on just to see..and am still amazed when they fit. A size 12 looks so small to me (coming from a 32)..and i can't picture myself being this size..I feel like i still look large..but the pants on the hanger don't look bad at all! My mind still hasn't caught up..but yes..shopping can be challenging!

julesGA
on 5/31/12 11:51 pm - Brunswick, GA
 Even though my pants are currently size 20-22 they seem tiny compared to the 32s I used to wear.  I can't even wrap my brain around a 12!    Congrats on your loss!

rhearob
on 5/31/12 11:09 pm - TN
 Its a problem even for guys!  Aside from the body image issues (does this show off the love handles or muffin top), the clothing styles can be an issue.  Does this look too much like my old fat clothes?  Is this too trendy for someone my age?  

I refuse to be one of those old guys in the mall dressing from Abercrombie and Fitch announcing my douche-dom to the world in deafening tones!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

julesGA
on 5/31/12 11:49 pm - Brunswick, GA
 Ha ha, I get the A&F point all too well.    A 46 yo woman I know who lost a lot of weight and then got massive breast implants shops exclusively at Aeropostle.   It is so sad to see her dressed in the same clothes my 13 year old and her friends wear.     I have vowed not to make the same the same mistake even though I can see how it would be tempting!  

Good luck with your shopping..I bet you look fantastic! :)

debk21
on 6/1/12 1:01 am - Mansfield, TX
I get what you are saying.  I had the same list when I used to shop.  Now, it actually has to look GOOD on me (and cover my batwings).  Jeesh!  Try shopping at a thrift store while you are losing so you don't spend a bundle on clothes you are going to shrink out of (unless you have money to burn).  I also got a couple of care packages from friends for my in-between sizes (since I didn't have enough in my closet for each stage).  When I hit goal, I shopped till I dropped, then crawled - then lost more weight.  I'm stable now but that took some time too.  Congrats on your weight loss.  Keep working it girl!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Knit1
on 6/1/12 1:36 am - WA
I totally get the issues. For me, the last time I was in average sizes was before age 30, that was 25 years ago. So when I picture myself in those sizes, it's also in those styles. I have no idea what my "style" will be when those sizes fit again, but I promise it won't be elephant bells and gauze peasant shirts! What a fun journey :)
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views