Biggest Fear: Stretching my Sleeve

Landrymarie
on 6/5/12 10:07 pm - VT
I am so bummed because I do have hunger pains, I was really hoping I was going to be one of those that didn't feel hunger at all because I knew I wouldn't have any problems with "remembering" to eat! haha!  The hunger pains almost hurt, they definitly feel different than they used to.... but the good news is a few bites take them right away.  My fear though is with the urgency of getting all my protien in and  I going to eat too much and if I do that too often I am going to stretch out my sleeve and and be back to where I started before surgery.... I am so afraid of doing that!!  I absolutly love the full feeling and I don't want it to go away.

I had my operation on 4/24/12, my protien has been between 60-70 (I want to get closer to 100) and my water is not up there yet, only about 20 oz.... I can't fit it all in yet and that worries me, to get it all in means shooving it in there :-)   -- and I don't want to cause any stretching!

I have a doctor's appointment on Monday that I will talk to them about this but I thought I would throw this out here....   :-) 

Thanks!
louisamay
on 6/5/12 10:23 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Are you taking your antacids twice a day?  A lot of people confuse acid with hunger in the early days.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

justmest
on 6/5/12 10:30 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 You should be sipping on water all day. I'd bet the hunger that you are feeling is actually thirst.  Before i go to bed each night I put 4 bottles of water in the fridge and it's my job to drink those everyday. Most days I am able.  Right now getting fluids in is far more important than getting in protein. 
Before you respond to those hunger pains with food, respond with water i bet that's the issue.  I am only 3 days ahead of you and MIGHT be getting 30-40 protein with a shake.  I can only manage about half a rtd shake at a time right now and about a tbsp of purée 2 on a good day. 

Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

jenngirl
on 6/5/12 10:45 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
I think Louisa May may be right. I have not been sleeved yet, but I have read a lot on here about people feeling that hungry feeling and it is just acid mistaken for hunger. You want to be careful and not feed it. Some of these people have good advice. Plus, you are not getting enough water, you may be dehydrated as well. You really need to consult with your doctor about how you are feeling and see what he recommends, but for your own benefit, be honest with him about your water/protien intake.
Landrymarie
on 6/5/12 11:07 pm - VT
Thank you all......

I was taking antacids but I ran out so maybe that is making it worse.  I guess I didn't make that connection.  I have had a hard time right from the beginning getting "food" (protien) and water in so actually 20 oz of water, as low as it sounds, is actually a lot for me right now.... but I totally understand it is still not enough.  I will definitely work hard with pushign that....

Thanks again!!
favrow812
on 6/6/12 1:42 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
I've noticed that on days that I dont take my antiacid that I "feel" more hungry than on days that I do...

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Donna B.
on 6/6/12 3:38 am
There is a common misunderstanding that protein doesn't raise blood sugar.  Certainly carbohydrates raise sugar more than proteins, but protein raises blood sugar too!  Interestingly, fat does not raise blood sugar. 

Higher blood glucose, whether raised by carbs or protein, makes you feel hungry.

A woman NEEDS about 47 grams of protein a day.  If you are going much over this, you are raising your blood sugar needlessly AND adding calories that you don't need!   60 to 70 grams of proteins is more than you need to maintain muscle mass and for tissue repair.

Unless you are a bodybuilder, or a giant, or are pregnant, or are doing hardcore manual labor everyday, you do not need near 100 grams of protein a day.  Since you are two weeks out you are in convalescing stage and will be for about another month, your protein needs are not going to be as high as you think. 

The first six weeks i struggled to get in 48 oz of water and 30 grams of protein.

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

Landrymarie
on 6/6/12 5:18 am - VT
My surgery date was actually 4/24/12 - so I am actually 6 weeks out.  I thought we needed more protien for our hair??  That was actually my thought to increase my protien for my hair :-)

How long do we have to stay on antacides?  Will we eventually go off of those and that "hunger" feeling won't be so bad??

Thanks again everyone..... I can't believe how helpful everyone's input is!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views