Ladies...question on birth control....

Puttingme1st
on 6/13/12 12:45 am
VSG on 05/14/12 with
Prior to surgery I was consistently on BCP.  My surgeon instructed me to stop taking them a month before surgery and not re-start them until a month after surgery (risk of blood clots)...the end of this week will officially be one month after surgery.  My concerns about re-starting them are two fold. 

1) My Nut indicated that because of the lack of available long term research on VSG there is no definitive answer on whether we are able to fully absorb meds in the same way as before and that they recommend using some non-oral form of contraception.  I was under the impression that we would not have any malabsorption issues so this concerns me on a couple of levels.  I have no desire to and understand medically it's not a good idea to get pregnant in the next year.

2) When on BCP previously I found it almost impossible to lose weight.  The scale would never move and then when I came off of the pills it would drop fairly quickly.  I have had great results almost a month out from surgery, but have been in a stall the last week and half and I don't want to do anything else that could slow or stop my progress.

My question - Are there any ladies here who use the pill post op?  What has been your experience?  Thanks for reading and responding!
HT: 5' 8" VSG Surgery 5/14/12 HW = 322; SW = 301; GW = 160                
It's about Progress not Perfection...
Dallaswyatt
on 6/13/12 12:48 am - CA
talk to your ob/gyn about an iud...i used one for 3 years and wish i had done this in my early years...
Could_It_Be
on 6/13/12 3:01 am
 Can you have an IUD if you have never given birth?

VSG on 6/22/11
MizzEvil
on 6/13/12 4:26 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
Yes.

moonglo82
on 6/13/12 12:49 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I've been back on the pill since about a month out, and have had no problem losing.

The thing is, your NUT is supposed to be a food expert, not a medication expert. I've never heard that we might not absorb bcp properly. I HAVE heard that because we are extra hormonal because we are ridding our bodies of all the extra hormones we were storing in our fat very rapidly, and that this may cause us to need a backup method for a while.

Which pill were you taking before? It might be worth trying a different one if your old prescription was hindering your weight loss.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Shagdoll
on 6/13/12 12:51 am
Hi there,
Is there a reason you would not consider an IUD? It's inserted and lasts up to 5 years. I had that done over 3 years ago and I love not having to worry about taking a pill or getting shots.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

newme2011-2012
on 6/13/12 12:54 am
I have been back on the pill since a month out. No problems with losing. And it works as I am NOT pregnant..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Jenfur
on 6/13/12 1:06 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I'm in the same boat as you as far as coming off it for the surgery.  I would use another form but I take it to prevent getting knocked up and because it controls my severe hormonal related migraines and other issues that come up each month on other forms of BC.  If it wasn't for that, I'd gladly get an IUD but I can't lose 3-5 days each month due to it.  This month and next are going to be hell and I'm not looking foward to it but just another small price for the ultimate goal.

elizasgone
on 6/13/12 1:08 am - St Cloud, FL
VSG on 06/28/12

I have the Merena IUD...I some bleeding problems...but I love it. My periods have almost completely disapperared....BONUS!

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/12 1:17 am - WV
IUD is the first thing that comes to mind. Also, the sponge is pretty handy. That is what I use. I've also used spermicide. When using spermicide, I chart my cycle. While not 100% (nothing is), it helps me know when to avoid sex.
Most Active