maintenance questions

amberk82
on 6/13/12 11:08 am
I am struggling on choosing what type of diet is right for me to continue maintaining my weight. I wanted to see what types of diet or lifestyle people on here chose and why and how often am I still needing to work out? Anyone choose a weigh****chers type of diet??

katier825
on 6/13/12 11:31 am
No special diet for me. I try to keep my calories in the 1500-1800 range and less than 100 carbs. Still try to get 80+ protein and keep up with my fluids. When I first went into maintanance, I added 100 calories or so at a time until my weight stabilized. My doctor recommended adding fattier cuts of meat (I generally eat a lot of chicken/turkey). Working out as much as you can is great for toning.
debk21
on 6/13/12 11:34 am - Mansfield, TX
I didn't really choose a diet, per se.  I just upped my calories about 100 and stayed there for a few weeks, if I was still losing, I upped them again and experimented until I found the right balance for me.  I just kept eating what I did in the losing phase but added a little more fat and a few more carbs.  I'm maintaining now on 1,200-1,500 per day and it seems to be working.  I still get all my protein in, water, vitamins and track everything I eat so I know what I'm doing and don't go too far the wrong way.  This is what has worked for me and many of the vets here as well.  Congratulations on reaching goal - this is where the rubber meets the road so tread lightly until you have your feet under you.  You can do this!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

loverofcats
on 6/13/12 11:38 am
Maintenance is all about continuing to practice the behaviors that enabled you to lose weight in the first place. It isn't about a "diet." Add some healthy fats (avocado is one), small amount of nuts, seeds, etc., to increase your calories, so that your weight loss will slow down, if you are ready to do so.

Continue with the protein first, veggies, and small amount of fruit (if you can tolerate it). Exercise is paramount for keeping the weight off, well being, and for good health. If you're not strength training, I would highly recommend it, so that you can maintain your lean muscle mass.

Lifestyle change is about healthy behavior and choices and not being on a "diet."

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

frisco
on 6/13/12 12:12 pm

Maintenance for me is about 80% of what WL was.......

My cals are about 1000-1400 and carbs up to 80

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

amberk82
on 6/13/12 12:27 pm
Thanks so much!! I need to ask though--where do all your carbs come from?? Right now, I may get about 15-20 carbs per day--it has been that way for a long time! I am kinda in the mode where Im afraid to eat anything other than meat because I am scared of gaining all my weight back....but I know I have to eat more normal meals at some point.

frisco
on 6/13/12 12:39 pm

My Carbs are from veggies and small amounts of rice, bread, potato, sugar.

If your maintaining well....don't switch it up to much......

The first carb to increase is Veggies for the fiber......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

loverofcats
on 6/13/12 12:54 pm
My carbs come from veggies, small amount of berries with my post-workout shake and morning NF Greek yogurt, NF milk, NF Greek yogurt. A few times/week, I will have a couple of ounces of sweet potato and/or a bit of oatmeal, since they are complex carbs and do not spike the insulin response as much as regular potatoes, breads, rice, and any other white carbs. I also have 1/8 cup of Bob Red Mill Museli mixed in with my AM Greek yogurt. I do this about 4-5 times/week. My daily intake of carbs varies and most of time run between 60 something to 100. My top limit for carbs seems to be 120-130, which I don't do very often, unless I am doing a lot of Spin classes.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

debk21
on 6/13/12 12:37 pm - Mansfield, TX
My carbs come from fruit/veggies and the occasional protein bar.  Some of the sauces I use now on my meat are sweet as well such as honey barbeque.  I keep that carb total under 100 and protein around 80+.  Hope that helps.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

amberk82
on 6/13/12 12:58 pm
Yes all this info is great! Thanks for sharing! I will have to make myself a new menu for the next couple weeks and add a little more calories and see how it goes.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views