People telling you not to lose any more vs Dr's advice

morgans
on 6/21/12 10:03 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
5' 3" - started out at about 260. My goal is what my best, healthiest adult weight was, minus the boobs I had reduced a few years back, and that puts me right at about 130. That is what my "normal" size should be.

Not that BMI is the end all be all but at 130 I'd be comfortably in normal.

People are used to seeing you one way. You are now changing. Think of how everyone would have to adjust if you went platinum blond overnight.

I vote with everyone else - trust your doctor. You (and/or your insurance company) just paid him a pretty penny because he is a trained professional.

mama2girls
on 6/21/12 10:47 pm
Don't ever listen to people and take what the dr says as it...advice. Its what u want...

I am 5'7" and put my goal at 190 I still always look in the mirror and can't believe its me. I will continue to eat healthy and If I lose more that's great but I will not go less than 175 even though the high end of my bmi is 165. I do not want to look real skinny and old with extra skin in my face and I have never been fond of women without a little curve. I wear size m-l and 12-14 and currently weigh 187 and my goal is accomplished im way more active with my kids and I feel great!

HW:409  SW:328 CW:185-190 GW: 190, lowest wt:165;

GS Surgery date 8/9/11

Body by Sauceda born 12/9/16

"I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself"

rhearob
on 6/21/12 11:21 pm - TN
 As others have said, you need to make your own decision based on your own personal goals for appearance and health. 

If you poll the vets on here, you will find that many have set their own goals.  They all gave me some excellent advice on the topic a few months ago when I was struggling with this topic.  There are several very well reasoned techniques that I rolled all into my own.

Here is my approach - My Doctor advised 200-210 is where he'd be happy. I want that normal BMI number for purely emotional reasons.  For me that number is 195.  Many people report that they play with 10 lbs regularly in maintenance (some higher, some lower).  Since I want the upper range of that to be 195, I am going to shoot to maintain at 190 with plus or minus 5 lbs.  I have also heard that there may be some rebound as I play with my exact maintenance plan, so I am going to overshoot a little and initially land at 185.

To make sure I am maintaining at the right point I am going to have a body composition analysis done.  I am going to wait until I have been maintaining for a couple of months when doing this on the advice of one of the RNs at my clinic (and an 8 year RNY vet) who advised me that many people see a lot of redistribution of their weight after entering maintenance.  Since I have to self pay for the BCA its not bad adivece.

Like you, I am always getting the "where are you going to lose another 20 lbs from?" question from people.  My Mother is the worst for it - "You are going to be too skinny, you won't look good", etc.  The other poster's put it the best, people are used to seeing you one way.  As hard as it is for us to deal with our changing body image sometimes, i think it can be difficult for those around us too.  People get used to thinking of us in a certain way and interacting with us in a certain way.  By changing an arguably defining characteristic we challenge that image others have of us.  Theres going to be a certain resistance to that change.  While intellectually they know whats best for us, emotionally theres something else going on there.

Listen to your doctor, then make your own guided decision.  Just make sure you take all of the relevant medical facts into account.  Ultimately, as vague and frustrating as it sounds, you will know when you reach your goal.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

amandataylor0819
on 6/22/12 4:26 am
I still have over 60 lbs to lose to hit my initial goal and people already think I've lost enough...it's a perception thing....we look smaller than we actually are cause we were so big before...in truth I want to lose another 90 + for my own self satisfaction of having a normal BMI, but even I am beginning to think that might be just too thin for me....we'll see where my body ends up...

RyanJS
on 6/22/12 5:43 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
Listen to yourself and your doctor... If I listened to my friends and family I would have stopped at 250lb's. People are so use to us being over weight our entire life that when we start losing they get paranoid. I just tell them how come it is okay for "Insert Name Here" to be skinny and healthy but you think I need to stop here and accept being over weight? You are doing this for yourself. If you want those single digit #'s then go get it. I have NO DOUBT that you will achieve it as well

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Shagdoll
on 6/22/12 9:46 am
I am 5'5 and wear a size medium too. I still think I want to lose 20 more pounds which kinda freaks me out to think I'd be wearing a size small but it will put me in a normal BMI with a few pounds to bounce around with. I agree with most posters above ... listen yourself & your doctor.
Best of luck to you!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

goingforit1
on 6/22/12 11:18 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Thank you for all of the insightful and encouraging replies! I agree that *I* need to be the one I'm pleasing (and my Dr because I trust him to help me make choices to improve my health) and I appreciate the suggested replies I can use when people question my size or the fact that I need to lose more.  Sometimes I'm on the spot and don't really know how to respond in the moment but now I'll have some answers ready to spout off! :)

Thanks everyone!!! :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views