Going on a date... BMI/Weight for riding rides... and a pic...

hwag5149
on 6/26/12 2:07 pm
Soooo I'm going on a date and it's at a place that might have some rides/ferris wheels and stuff like that. Kind of a pier/port thing. Anyway, I lost a lot of weight but I'm still very heavy. I weigh 263 at 5'6. I'm squeeeezing into 20 jeans and I'm wearing 18/20 shirts mostly, seldom a 14/16 if it's stretchy. Ok, so the guy knows I had surgery and I'm kind of uncomfortable with the weight thing and he's used to dating big girls. He even suggested horse back riding (sigh)... so here's my concern... at what weight/BMI were you guys able to ride stuff? I would be SO humiliated if I made an attempt and couldn't fit. I totally feel like I'm way too big to fit into anything but I seriously have no clue. I think last time I tried I was like 16 or 17 and may have weighed 230-250 and my body was probably very different. If he suggests a ride I think I'll freak out but I don't want it to be awkward. Ugh I'm nervous. He's very outdoorsy and I feel like my weight is such a barrier :( 

Here's a picture of me from the other day... don't pay attention to the water spots on my shirt or the dirty bathroom. Do you think I could fit on a ferris wheel? Would they slap me for even trying because of weight restrictions?

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Kevin H.
on 6/26/12 2:12 pm, edited 6/26/12 2:13 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I'm kind of in the same boat as you.  I don't know if I would fit or not either at 288 lbs.  I think it depends on where you go.  I could ride everything at Disney world when we went .. but nothing at Kings Dominion.  Some rides are built for larger folks and other ride manufacturers, not so much.

As far as horseback ridding, anytime I've been in my younger and lighter days the weight limit was 250 lbs.  This is one of my mini goals / milestones I'm looking forward to again one day.

hwag5149
on 6/26/12 2:16 pm, edited 6/26/12 2:16 pm
Omg so I might actually be able to fit at Disneyland??? Wait, what's your BMI though. We're 25 pounds apart but you're probably a lot taller than me. So how did you figure out you couldn't fit at the other place? How did you deal with that? I don't want to be super embarrassed... especially since it's mine and this guy's first date. Oh lord, I'm having anxiety. What is King's Dominion? Is it something just in your state or is it like a Six Flags?

I did google some horseback riding spots and I saw 250 pound limits just in general but other people said horses carry 1/3 of their weight comfortably and they have bigger horses for people. Btw, he has no clue about my actual weight and some people tell my that they think I weigh like 220 or less when they see me in person (I think they're lying!) When he asked me about horseback riding  I said "I don't want to kill the horse!" and he said "You act like you're the first big girl that ever rode a horse." Then I said that I couldn't even get on it and he said they help you. He totally makes me feel comfortable. I love it. :)

Kevin H.
on 6/26/12 2:21 pm, edited 6/26/12 2:22 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I'm the same height as you 5'6".  Kings Dominon is an amusement park in Virginia (not my state but close enough to drive there in a day's trip) and their rides were made for teenagers and skinny people LOL.   Certainly not forgiving like Disneyworld was.  Disneyland is a much older park then Disneyworld so even that might be different I'm not sure.

I have not tried to get on any rides since I've lost 100 lbs. so I've been wondering myself about this.

hwag5149
on 6/26/12 2:25 pm
Wait, wait, wait, you went to Disneyworld at almost 400 pounds and fit in everything???? If that's so, I'm about to plan my trip to D-land! I haven't been since I was 14 because I thought I wouldn't be able to fit for another 50+ pounds. Omg it's been my dream to go to an amusement park.

Kevin H.
on 6/26/12 2:28 pm, edited 6/26/12 2:28 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Well, the kids and I went to Disneyworld (Disneyland may be different) about 5 or 6 years ago I think so I was not 390 then .. probably about 325 .. but yes I fit on everything .. we went to 5 different parks and I didn't have any trouble.  I got on the Rock and Roll Rollercoaster (Aerosmith), Mission Mars, Tower of Terror, etc.  We had a blast!

hwag5149
on 6/26/12 2:35 pm
I'm so freakin glad I asked this question. I still look at booths and think that there's no way I can fit and then there ends up being plenty of room so maybe I'll just have to close my eyes and just go for it. I'm totally going to look into Disneyland. I'm so excited.

Kevin H.
on 6/26/12 2:38 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I hope it goes great for you!  I have not been to Disneyland since I was a teenager when I went to CA to visit my aunt and uncle so I can't comment on those rides since it's an older park.  

I can only comment on Disneyworld (which is in Florida and a newer park) .. have a great time if you go!

jacreasy
on 6/27/12 12:41 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 Disney is sooooooooooooooo different at 346 I was able to ride EVERYTHING so have no fears... As for KD or other A parks I second guess myself too, I went the other day to KD and went on one ride b/c I was scared too. It FN sucks so I'm not much help in the matter but I do know One day hopefully soon I wont have to worry bout that anymore and I will have a BLAST! Good Luck

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

AzureAurora
on 6/26/12 2:19 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 You look fine to me. But you aren't going to know unless you try. Once you get there you should be able to tell from the other people on the rides how close a fit it will be. If it looks like a smaller fit ... Choose something else. 

I say go for it and have a fabulous time 

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 6 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 6 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views