Calcium: Citronate vs. Carbonate

Elbie
on 6/28/12 1:52 pm
I have not been sleeved yet, but my doc wants me to start taking Calcium as my PTH (parathyroid hormone) level was high when I did my initial labs. She recommended a chewable calcium citronate and said that this is what I am going to have to be on once I have had surgery. I've heard that citronate is better absorbed and that is why they recommend it, however, I have yet to find a chewable calcium citronate in the store. What do you all take? Has anyone found a chewable calcium citronate in a drug store? It seems like everything I am seeing (like Viactive) is calcium carbonate. Thanks!
tscasto
on 6/28/12 2:43 pm - Urbandale, IA
VSG on 03/22/12
it is better absorbed because it requires less acid to digest. you will be taking an acid reducing med after surgery also.

No, I have not found anything, nor has my surgeon or NUT said anything has become "OTC" if you will. You'll have to order online I believe. I use the Bariatric advantage calcium citrate chews. They have chocolate, lemon, raspberry & caramel. I like the caramel best but all of them are fine.
Tenille 

HW-248.8   SW-233.4  1M-216.2   4M- 188.6
Calking
on 6/28/12 3:32 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
The first response indicated that you will be taking an acid reducing med after surgery. Not everyone does ... I don't. But perhaps that is because I didn't have any of the pre-op things that you have going on.

My surgeons office actually sells the calcium and the brand I got if called Celebrate Calcium Plus 500 (I have the cherry tart flavor and I think there was another choice as well) It is of course a chewable supplement and under the the word Celebrate it says bariatric supplement.

I did a quick google search and found that Amazon has the berry and cream flavored variety for about $20.00 This is for a bottle of 90. You only take one a day so it's a three month supply basically. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Celebrate-Calcium-Berries-Cream-Count/dp/B0030FIHPW

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

doggz109
on 6/28/12 4:22 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
You want citrate.  It is absorbed with or without food.  Carbonate needs a lot of stomach acid to be fully absorbed.....you will likely be taking a PPI and there fore will not have much acid.

I take Welleese Liquid Calcium + D3.......its not a chewable but very easy to take.

Jaybee766
on 6/28/12 8:21 pm - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
My 2 cents - caclcium citrate is less likely to lead to kidney stones if you are prone to them like me.  So I stick with them.  Bariatric Advantage has chews (like taffy) that I prefer.  Good luck!
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

olderbutwiser
on 6/28/12 9:26 pm
 That's what my doc told me about Carbonate --- kidney stones with rapid weight loss.  Vitamin Shoppe has Healthy Advantage Calcium Citrate.  They are dark chocolate and have 35 calories per and you take 2 a day.  I took them for a while and gave up the extra calories and found Solray capsules which go down VERY easily.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views