Now I'm really curious???

bluemems
on 7/1/12 2:17 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
I just responded to a post about a 2-week pre-op diet.  It really got me thinking about the diffrent issues with weight loss folks have, or don't have.  It made me wonder if there has ever been research done on patients that do a 2 week pre-op diet vs. pateints that do not.  Does one group seem to have a better weight loss after than the other group?  Or is one group generally a "faster" loser group than the other.  Hmmmmmmmm!!!!

!

Ohiogirl
on 7/1/12 2:37 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Right now I am trying to decide between two surgeons - one requires a two week shake/low protein meal diet and the other - no pre op diet except for liquids only the day before surgery. I like them both and both have good stats. I have to admit that the no pre op diet appeals to me on most levels. 

But I am curious to see the responses you get. Should be interesting. 
Shagdoll
on 7/1/12 3:24 am
I'm not sure if people on 2 week pre-op diets were ever on a longer program like say, me. I have kaiser and I was on a 12 week program to lose 10% of my body weight. I managed to lose about 18 pounds in those 12 weeks and my surgeon was happy with that. Then I was only required to go on a clear liquid diet the day before.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

kcquilter
on 7/1/12 4:02 am
My surgeon had me do the pre-diet to help shrink my liver & make it easier to do the surgery. I have BC/BS & had to do a 6 month pre-op diet but wasn't required to lose a certain % of my weight.
neecie1123
on 7/1/12 4:40 am - NC
 Go to youtube and search out 'Dr. Timothy Kuwada".  There is an interview with him and he discussed a study that his practice did and there was no difference with post op weight loss for patients who dieted before surgery vs those who did not.  

bluemems
on 7/1/12 9:15 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Awesome!  Thanks for the respose - I was really curious.  I think I would have been surprised if there was much of a difference, but then again, stranger things have happened.  I will be going out later tonight to check out that interview.  I have it all pulled up and ready to read in my down time tonight. :)

Nadurra Deb
on 7/1/12 5:22 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
I think the goal of the 2-week pre-op diet is more about shrinking the liver or reducing the fat around the liver. I don't think it makes much of a difference after surgery. It seems to be more about weight loss before surgery and preparations to make your surgery as successful as possible. Some surgeons have different requirements depending on your BMI. If your BMI is below a certain number, then you don't need a 2 week liquid diet...again I think this is about making more room in the abdomen and reducing the size of the liver so it is more out of the way during surgery. I would ask your dr to explain why they have their requirements.

I am curious why some drs require a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks AFTER while others will start you on full liquids right away and yet others will only do a couple of days of clear then go straight to pureed liquid diet? Are there any studies about that? My thinking is that clear liquids tends to really limit your protein and calorie intake which can't be good for healing. I would think we would heal faster if we are getting more actual food even if it is pureed liquid. It would be easier to get your protein in.

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

bluemems
on 7/1/12 9:16 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Thank you all for your responses - very interesting to me.  I have always liked the "detective" type of work - I should have gone into research or investigation as a career - ha, ha.

Mom78
on 7/1/12 10:13 am
VSG on 02/10/12
My surgeons office doesn't require the preop diet, they found that two weeks isn't enough to reduce the liver size.
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Most Active