OH no! Need vet help again please....

4evercaligrl
on 7/6/12 10:21 am
 I posted about 3 weeks ago about not being able to lose weight while only eating 6-800 cal/day.  You guys were amazing and gave me your plan which I have been sticking to religiously- keeping less than 40 carbs/day.  I finally started losing weight and thought that I might be ok.  I think I lost close to 10 pounds with this ( in the 3 weeks).  Then, this past sunday I started adding 15-20 min workouts in the morning.  A program I heard about and have been trying to stick to.  I have been waking up early every morning to do this and every day, my weight is creeping up a bit.  I have gained 1.5 pounds just since Monday! I am really starting to freak out because every little bit is so hard to lose, and I want to go down, not up! Especially since I am working even harder than ever.  So what Im wondering is, could it be possible to gain muscle in less than a week and could that be why my weight is going up? If this is the case, should I stop working out?  Will I never reach goal if I continue to work out?  Or, is my body rebelling against this diet too and it doesnt matter what I do, I will never get to my goal weight? 

Thanks, as always, for your help.  
P.s. Im a band to sleeve revision.  Lost 100 pounds with the sleeve until I had a complication, gained 36 pounds until they gave me the sleeve (this April), finally got back down to my 100 pound loss this week! (and then gained the 1.5....arghhhh...)

USAF Wife
on 7/6/12 10:29 am
It's water weight. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. NOW, measuring muscle vs. fat in a measurement of Volume is different, muscle is more lean, dense, takes up less space than bulky, bumpy fat.

When you start working out, increasing muscle mass, your muscles get little tears/rips in them. To repair and recovery, those muscles need WATER to repair/recovery.

Do not panic, stay the course and take your measurements. Take note of how your clothes are fitting.

Push clear fluids more now than ever. Do not stop working out and building muscle.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/12 10:31 am
What you are going through is normal.  Do not change what you are eating and don't stop exercising.  What is happening is that you are tearing your muscle fibers down and it takes more water to build them back up.  You are gaining water.  This will continue to happen for a few weeks.  It takes much longer to build muscles.  You are doing fine and eventually, your new found muscles will help you lose fat even faster. 
Nadurra Deb
on 7/6/12 10:56 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Thanks for posting about your issue. I know you are not the only one that has experienced this. The vet explanations are GREAT! I hope I remember this when I get where you are!

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

diane S.
on 7/6/12 11:38 am
Elina is right. don't change what you are doing. make sure your food journal is accurate. Its normal to fluctuate up and down.  This whole thing takes awhile. Most of us take close to a year to get to goal. weight only weekly if the changes drive you nuts. but if you eat under 800 cal, 40 or fewer g carbs and get 70 g protein, you will get there. if things are too slow, up your protein without upping calories (means leaving something else out). my doctor told me to do this and i did and it worked.    gl.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

4evercaligrl
on 7/6/12 12:18 pm
 WOW!!! Thank you so much! I was so down, thinking I would be stuck forever! Thank you! So happy I asked :)))

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 143 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 416 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views