Thinking about transitioning to whole foods plant based diet

amidwife4u
on 7/9/12 5:40 am
Thinking about making a major switch in my diet.  I'm not sure how to make it work and am doing some research.  Want to switch to a mainly plant based whole foods diet with only rare animal proteins in the souce of organic meats, eggs and rare milk products.

Does anyone have any good info on this.  Is there a vegetarian forum....I can't seem to locate one? 

Would appreciate any info on this if there is anyone else out there doing this.  I want to make sure I get my protein in and this is my main concern.

Julie

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
AdeanaMarie
on 7/9/12 6:09 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
A great protein drink I love is PlantFusion. It is gluten free, soy free, dairy free and vegan. I get it on Amazon. My favorite flavor is chocolate. Also made with Stevia. Check it out. Might be a good protein drink for you now or after you switch over. It is the only one I use.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

amidwife4u
on 7/9/12 7:05 am
Thanks, I'll check it out.

happyteacher
on 7/9/12 11:39 am
 I think mom4jazz does minimal meat, maybe she could offer some suggestions?  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

TamaraJill
on 7/10/12 12:04 am
 I have been on a plant-based diet since last year and have never felt better. I have lost weight and all my cravings for food have disappeared. I have no desire to return to my former way of eating. Two wonderful sites to get info on plant-based diets and ones that will also answer your questions about protein sources are www.engine2diet.com and happyherbivore.com.  They both are chock full of information and have great recipes. Happy Herbivore also offers weekly menu plans and the majority of her recipes are very easy and quick to make.  I also recommend that you watch the documentary Forks Over Knives. You can find this online at Hulu.com or through Netflix. 
amidwife4u
on 7/10/12 4:52 am
I watched Forks over knives last week which has prompted this change.  I am using up my meat sources already in the fridge and am going to transition slowly.  I am thinking over the course of about 6 weeks to make the transition.  Longer or shorter as needed....we will just see how it goes.

I will check the websites out.  Thank you.  I downloaded a book for my kindle that I am reading now and it seems to have lots of info, but haven't gotten to the info about protein yet.

I am planning on taking a nutrition course through one of the authors that was featured on the forks over knives documentary.  I want to get some certification on plant based eating.  Should be an interesting journey!

Carmelita
on 7/10/12 6:30 am - Four Corners, NM
 Tamara Im very interested in this...for a year post op..on carbs!  WOWWIE WOWIE!!
 Ive got a major problem maybe you can HELP ME!!...a lil history
  I did do vegan during my younger days no animal anything...it was my  preference , not for any social/moral (?) value. I liked em!!  I felt GOOD!! After meeting & dating DH 34 years ago...Ive blamed him for turning me into a flesh eater...lol , even so n eating animal protein ..DH thru all these years said I musta been a rabbit in my former life. HA! I love carbs!!

Since VSG...I have to have my carbs!!  Its my preference!   Im talkin complex carbs and  limited simple carbs like fruits, dairy and some vegetables.  I rarely ever eat junk. I rarely ever eat processed refined anything..flour sugar pasta rice crappy carbs like corn,rice,...RARELY!!

I recently did the 5DPT I did ok...ya know its a CARB detox...all dairy n MEAT...for 5 days.   I know all about ^^^ protein meats..keepin us full longer. After a couplea days on 5DPT hunger for food..does diminish extremely for me.  

After completing...I vowed I was slowly gonna re-introduce hi fiber carbs back into my diet.  What happened? A week later I was into a 3 day carb eating food fest!!  Im talking raw nuts, raw seeds (pumpkin mostly), raw veggies cooked too cooked legumes, tofu, soy chorizo, seeds quinoa, amaranth n I tried hemp for the first time! I loved it!! but  I was eating these foods virtually ALL day long.  Like chinese food...gettin hungry in a half an hour after eating it..HA!.   Weight I lost with the 5DPT short of 2 pounds almost as if I never did it at all!   Undone! 

I don't know how far out you are....because I truly believe that makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE
..metabolically
....but how are YOU able to stay 'full' longer/sated... eating carbs?  I can't seem to get the hang of this!!  I don't like eating meat....but meat does indeed keep me full longer. Am I doomed to eat meat for the rest of my days to sate me..keep my weight loss going ?  Im now ~8 pounds from my lowest post surgical weight. ...I want to get it all off and keep it off.....but I see no hope for me without....eating meat.  

Any tips sure would be appreciated Tamara!
Genenecote
on 7/10/12 5:47 am
 check out John McDougall site ... www.drmcdougall.com and the T. Colin Campbell foundation

Genene Cote
Down To Earth Fare
Www.downtoearthfare.com
http://downtoearthfare.com/a-plant-based-diet-slow-and-easy/
rabid24
on 7/10/12 6:40 am
Photo

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

TexasMom65
on 8/18/12 7:31 am - TX
I too also watched Forks over Knives and Food Inc.  Our family went mostly organic in january.  Now to take it to the next level and go mainly plant based.  Today we are cleaning out our pantry and fridge.  Not sure I will give up the butter, eggs or cheese just yet that I have on hand, but will not be buying any if possible.  It will be a slow process as I have a husband who loves meats and an 8 yr old son.  Actually my husband is on borad with it because of all the meds he is on and wants to get healthy. 
Also check out http://www.thedavisclinic.com/blog  Dr. Garth Davis is a bariactric surgeon who eats a plant based diet and has several patients on it.  You can also find him on FB and friend him.  I sent him a message last week of my concerns about getting enough protein on a plant based diet.  He quickly answered me back and said not to worry.  As long as I'm eating all the good foods I will be fine.  He has done a lot of research on this so I trust what he is saying.

Robin
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views