Pregnancy possible (safe) after VSG?

chocolateeri
on 7/17/12 11:16 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 I am still young, 28, and I do not have any kids. I have been married almost a year. My husband and I have a 5 yr plan for having kids.We would love to travel (can't wait to be small enough to fit comfortably on an airplane). I also have plans to ride some roller coasters . But I have read very little about people whome have had babies after VSG. Most people already have kids and then have the surgery that tales off the weight. I did read that for people my age, they put you on mandatory birth control for 2 years after surgery since the dramatic weight loss causes high fertility. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Just curious (not trying to have babies now)
Evymetalmommy
on 7/17/12 11:21 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I did a little bit of research on this this morning actually.  We had an incident last week and I'm a super paranoid person.  I am NOT on mandatory birth control.  I did try Nuva Ring and well it's a no go.  It made me have some annoying side effects.  So we are trying to be careful until I can get my IUD put in place.  

The things I was reading this morning was about people who got pregnant too soon after surgery.  Their doctors made them eat constantly but not excessively if that makes sense?  They had to up their carbs so it didn't cause harm to the babys brain during growth.  It's totally doable.  I know there are people that had VSG just so they can help put themselves in better health to have a baby. 

I can also vouch for the fertility thing.  I have never had a normal cycle.  EVER.  Well since I had surgery only 3 months ago I've had a perfect 28 day cycle since.  Never have I had that before.  Last month for giggles I figured out when I would start in July if it was on time.  That was today and it showed up.  It's insane.
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

lucy2e
on 7/17/12 11:27 am - Laurel, MD
I suggest you friend USAF Wife - she is currently pregnant and this is her second post vsg pregnancy.  She is a great source of information! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

chocolateeri
on 7/17/12 11:59 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 How do I friend people on here?
lucy2e
on 7/17/12 12:32 pm - Laurel, MD
 Just click on their avatar and their page will open then click add as friend. 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Sutterbos
on 7/17/12 11:33 am
VSG on 06/21/12
I researched this as well.  I'm 43, and never had kids.  It's still a slight possibility for me, but I knew if I didn't take care of myself I'd never be able to be a good mom.

Our bariatric program said 12-18 months after surgery it starts to be safe to get pregnant.  The rapid weight loss is not conducive to growing a healthy baby, and most people get to maintenance by this time.  As the prior poster said, if it happens before then, you'll just have to work super closely with a nutritionist and your OB.  We didn't have mandatory birth control, but we did have to sign the pre-op disclosure that says we understand we're not supposed to get pregnant for 12-18 months and need to use BC.

Another thing to consider - your body is going to go through A LOT in the year after surgery, and A LOT more in pregnancy.  So it's best to have some time between the two.

Hope that helps!

jengo1971
on 7/17/12 11:52 am
Hi there.  No one can put you on mandatory birth control.  Your doctor will encourage you to use at least one, possibly two forms but they cannot force you.  Yes for most fertility will increase d/t wt loss.  My husband and I only use NFP (natural family planning) so I was on no artificial birth control after surgery. 

I am now 19 months post-op and 11 weeks pregnant.  There would be no reason for one not to have a completely normal pregnancy after VGS.  I can eat plenty to support myself and my baby.  It would be quite counterproductive to conceive soon after VSG and before reaching goal (or close to anyway).  Otherwise, quite safe.

Good luck,
Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
chocolateeri
on 7/17/12 11:58 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 Thanks everyone! This was all very helpful info
Carmelita
on 7/17/12 12:00 pm - Four Corners, NM
 Its sooo common after WLS that OH has devoted a whole Forum just for it ,-)

PREGNANCY after WLS

We have a few active members pregnant right now! 1 a year out...1 3 yrs out maybe
Do an OH search  enter " VSG pregnant" up in the search bar

There have indeed been several VSGrs that have gotten pregnant within 1 year of VSG.
all healthy babies!! 

but most surgeons, obgyns in real life...say WAIT 2 years....cuz it takes our bodies 2 years  to recover from any major operation, childbirth etc. Some of us can't wait for whatever reason. 

I learned in college... If doin basal....little girl sperm swim faster in an acidic state....vinegar
little boy sperm swim faster in an alkaline state...baking soda ...slows them female sperm down. 

Moral majority pulled Gender Choice off the market ~1985....how dare someone have a choice in gender!
but it was basically a little blue box w/ basal monitoring and a baking soda douche for a boy, a liitle pink box with the same...only a vinegar douche for a girl.  Lots of info on it on the net. 

Alls I can say choco...when YOU are ready, and primed for baby....WE WANT PICTURES!! lolol

Could_It_Be
on 7/17/12 12:01 pm
 Got the all clear from my surgeon at 12 months post op. We will begin to try in about a year, I can't wait. 

:)

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views