Ladies on HRT: Did you have to stop it for surgery?

Ohiogirl
on 7/19/12 3:13 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 And if so - did you go home with lovenox or heparin shots?  And if you didn't have to - please let me know if you had any problems with blood clots.

My surgeon wants me to stop my estrogen replacement (patch) for 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery.  I've tried several times before but the mental fog and physical issues (hot flashes, insomnia, jitteryness) return within days.  So for me it is a quality of life issue and I asked my surgeon if  there was any way I could remain on the estrogen patch.  He consulted with his associate who is his internal medicine partner (who does the pre op testing) and he said I need to stay on Lovenox shots for 20 days following surgery.  I'm certainly willing but nervous about having complications and giving myself the shots - bleeding problems or whatever.  I've never had clotting problems nor do I have a family history of blood clots.  My cardiologist said he does not remove patients from hormone or birth control pills when he clears them for any surgery.  So I think my surgeon is being cautious which is fine with me.  Just wondering what everyone else has done.

Thanks.

Paula
olderbutwiser
on 7/19/12 8:48 pm
 Paula --- email me!!!

Pobearsam7
on 7/19/12 9:19 pm
I had a nurse come out daily to give me shots.... I'm scared of needles

Kelly                

loverofcats
on 7/19/12 11:33 pm
 I don't know what your situation is, but I was on HRT following a removal of an ovarian cyst. I was in my early fifties, so the ovarian cyst removal put me into menopause. I was on HRT for several years, but my surgeon asked me to stop 2 weeks prior to surgery. I did stop and have been off of it since my VSG almost 2 years ago. They want you to stop, because the estrogen may cause an increase in the risk of blood clots during and after surgery, which is reason that they give everyone heparin or lovenox, prior to and after surgery. I would follow your surgeon's recommendation. I would rather have some hot flashes, etc., than a blood clot that could be fatal. This isn't anything to mess with.

They also want people off Vit E and NSAIDS, due to the increased risk of bleeding issues.

Your surgeon is NOT being overly cautious. Getting off certain meds prior to surgery is the standard of practice and there is research to back up the reasons, why they want you to stop estrogen prior to surgery.

Good luck to you.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Ohiogirl
on 7/20/12 4:09 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Yes - I understand the reasoning but there are medical as well as well being reasons for me staying on the hormones, so I was very glad when my surgeon was able to accomodate my situation by consulting his internal medicine partner to work out a plan for me - to be able to stay on the hormones and take the Lovenox shots.  Ideally I wish I could go off the hormones but I am working within my needs and I'm happy that the surgeon is too.  
My reason for posting was to see how others handled the hormone question.  Thanks for your input.

Looks like you are doing great - I hope to be as successful!!

Paula

Hislady
on 7/20/12 12:06 pm - Vancouver, WA
Just to ease ypour mind about the shots I do them before and after every surgery and I've had 13 or so in the last few years. The needle itself is a tiny one and a quick poke in the belly and it's all over. It's well worth the poke to be able to stay on the hormones.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views