Learning to shop again

hrford
on 7/24/12 9:16 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Soooo I'm now solidly in the 12s which makes me capable of shopping most places.  But I'm now 34 so solidly out of being young (though I'll fight middle age tooth and nail) and well I don't want to be that "old" lady who's wearing clothes like I'm 19.  I've been getting stuff at Express, and Old Navy and of course resale shops but I'm sorta unclear as to whether I'm wearing clothes appropriate to my age.  

I have to go to a picnic thing where the General will be there and other important people.  I'd like to buy a nice dress but I'm worried that I'm so unused to dressing nicely that I'll go in the opposite direction.  So what did ya'll do as the world of clothing opened up to you?  Did you jsut bring someone with you or did you inately know what looked right?  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Crabadams72
on 7/24/12 9:25 am - Silver Spring, MD
I refer to magazines for inspiration.
I made a few mistakes, going to stores like Forever 21 give me a headache H an M too. The stuff is too busy. I like the Limited, N Y and Co, the Loft and white House Black Market and Bananna Republic.

For a minute I was getting things a bit "too young". I think I was making up for being big for so long. Sometimes I still have a hard time.

JC Penney has cute stuff too, they used to be frumpy.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

hrford
on 7/24/12 9:27 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Are there any boutique shops in and around DC you like?

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Crabadams72
on 7/24/12 9:49 pm - Silver Spring, MD
I never make it down to DC. I'm out here in MO county and just hit the malls. There is a resale boutique called Current Boutique that has really nice designer goods. I saw it in the Washingtonian mag. They have a site also. Www.currentboutique.com
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

MuttLover
on 7/24/12 10:25 am
VSG on 11/14/12
 My suggestion -- Macy's (and maybe Nordstrom) offers a free personal shopper service.  I have a friend who is the personal shopper at the Towson store -- and I think all of the Macy's have one.  You can call to make an appointment, tell them what size you wear and the event, and your budget, and they will meet with you to find things that look good!  Plus -- they know the merchandise and what is on sale.  They also know that if they find bargains for you, you'll be back!

My friend just took this job, and we were at a baby shower, and one person said, "Who uses a personal shopper?'  And said that when I lost weight before, I was stupid to have not used one!  I was overwhelmed with the shopping choices -- needed women's sizes on the bottom and misses sizes on the top -- and I was baffled since I had literall NEVER shopped as an adult in a misses dept.

So, that might an option!  If you do, let us know how it worked!  My dream is to need a personal shopper to help me replace my entire wardrobe!
ib40
on 7/24/12 10:40 am
I think this is  a great idea! Many times I have wished for a personal shopper.  If I ever have the plastics I need, I'm buying new clothes and using a personal shopper to do it. I love to shop and just being in a regular department store is overwhelming because there are so many different designers, departments and price points. A store shopper would know all of the merchandise and should have an idea of what works together and works for your body type.

mauigirl2
on 7/24/12 10:43 am - kihei, HI
I really like Macy's and once a month they have great sales.... They are very helpful also.

Memak
on 7/24/12 11:08 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I'm far from needing to shop for new clothes, but I am already having the same concerns.  I am a lot older than you are (I'm 55), but my 33 year old dd said, "Just stay out of the Junior Dept. to buy your clothes".  I think that's solid advice. 

thisbe777
on 7/24/12 1:56 pm
i watch 'what not to wear'...  i've learned a lot from them......  the most important thing is to make sure whatever you buy fits you well...  tailor if necessary...

i agree with going to macy's and nordstrom -- they are very helpful...  i take my hubby with me....  he's good at telling me what colors and styles look good on me...  

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

USAF Wife
on 7/24/12 9:46 pm
I went through the same transition.

However, I'm fairly sure I do not always dress my age (35), but you know what, I do not dress in a way that is too skimpy or too revealing. My 14 yr old would argue that me wearing polka dotted tights with a sweater dress is definitely NOT appropriate, but really??? It's not like I'm 60. I wasn't able to dress cute, in style, with any trends through my 20s so I guess I'm making up for it in my 30s.

My opinion, as long as it's not revealing, and I'm not trying to pull off the 3.5 inch inseam shorts from Old Navy then how I dress is perfectly acceptable for my age.

I'm a pretty simple jeans/shirt or sweater kind of girl for the most part. I rock out skinny jeans with calf and knee high boots through our winters here. I have a pair of adorable plaid Vans that I love to wear. I don't wear them because they are Vans, I wear them because they are slip-ons, easy to wear, cute, match several different shirts, and I can throw them on and go.

Here in FL, with the social functions we attend with higher ups, I wear A LOT of maxi dresses with a shrug. I keep the "tea length" rule for more formal functions(retirements, change of commands etc). My ball gown 2 years ago was definitely NOT age appropriate in many people's eyes. BUT, I didn't give 2 poops. I rocked it out and was complimented all night.

I lived far too long in frumpy clothes that looked like I had them custom made by Omar the tent maker. Never again! I shopped alone for many months and shop at the same stores you do. I did go a go bit too young with one mid-thigh sweater dress, but dark tights totally made it appropriate.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views